4 replies to this topic

Tim Stallmann

Tim Stallmann

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • United States

Hey all -- I've been doing a fairly regular mapping gig that involves bringing CADD data from Bentley .dgn files into ArcGIS. My normal workflow is just to load the files directly in Arc.

But recently I've been having problems with elements and layers that show up in Bentley View but don't come into ArcGIS (either when I load the CADD files directly or use the Import from CADD toolbox command). Somehow it usually works out to be exactly the specific layers that I need, too :(.

Does anyone out there have any more experience or tips on bringing CADD data into Arc? Or potential workarounds? In the past I've gone back to the data source and gotten them to re-generate the CADD files, but that back and forth takes a while.

jrat

jrat

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • United States

What version of CADD is it? AutoCADD 2010 is a new file format that Arc doesn't like. Try saving the CADD file to a previous file format and then opening it in ArcMap. Check this link for futher info. ESRI Support AutoCad 2010

Tim Stallmann

Tim Stallmann

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • United States

Hmm... they're Bentley .dgn files.. not sure what version.

What version of CADD is it? AutoCADD 2010 is a new file format that Arc doesn't like. Try saving the CADD file to a previous file format and then opening it in ArcMap. Check this link for futher info. ESRI Support AutoCad 2010

19° norte

19° norte

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Mexico

Perhaps try ogr2ogr or Global Mapper?
Roland W. Hardt
19° | norte
http://www.19norte.com.mx

Kartograph

Kartograph

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Germany

While this might be a different problem I have experienced problems with porting dxf and drw files into ArcGIS when they happen to use Bezier-Curves. Only a dedicated tool like FME was able to transform them to my liking. THe standard import of 9.3 would not produce an error, but you couldn´t see any of the feautres with curves in them. I haven´t found a freely available tool that does this trick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->