Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

Ordnance Survey OpenData was launched last Thursday, see:

http://data.gov.uk/d...Ordnance Survey

For me wearing my walking hat it offers nothing, because it doesn't include data in any format, vector or raster, on public rights-of-way (footpaths, bridal paths, byways, et cetera).

However, there are things of interest in the OpenData package, with more to come, including some interesting-looking mid-scale mapping in vector and raster formats, 'OS VectorMap District' see this link for samples:

http://www.ordnances...ormap/district/

But 'OS VectorMap District' won't include data on public rights-of-way either.

Regards, N.
Caversham, Reading, England.

pghardy

pghardy

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • United Kingdom

For me wearing my walking hat it offers nothing, because it doesn't include data in any format, vector or raster, on public rights-of-way (footpaths, bridal paths, byways, et cetera).

I rather like the idea of 'bridal paths' - presumably special footpaths for walking to church to get married, and not to be confused with 'bridle paths', suitable for horses! :)

I (personally) do think the OS free data is a step in the right direction, and it will be interesting how the 'OS Vectormap District' develops. It's been long overdue - OS has good vector data at large scales (1:1250, 1;2500) and small-scales (1:250K upwards), but the mid-scales products (1:25K, 1:50K) have traditionally only existed in analogue and raster form. Although walkers (myself included) would have benefited from free raster product mapping, I agree that the scope of OS free should rather be of vector datasets that can be exploited in innovative new ways.
--
Paul Hardy
ESRI Europe (phardy@esri.com)

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

I rather like the idea of 'bridal paths'...

Bridal paths! If I had a brain I'd be dangerous.

I'm gradually working through what OS OpenData has on offer, but I'm far from impressed. The datasets look calculated to be the raw minimum necessary to get the free-our-data people off their backs. The boundaries layers are probably the best of the bunch, there is limit to how far data like this can be crippled. The postcode data might possibly be useful to some, but it has points only, with no polygons and no addresses.

On the other hand, I do understand that including the 1:25,000- and 1:50,000-scale raster mapping in the mix might have threatened the viability of the paper equivalents, in the absence of compensation for potential loss being on offer.

Regards, N.
Caversham, Reading, England.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->