• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

anneism

anneism

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hello,
I am a student and I am trying to do a final project. My goal is to map the areas that would flood due to a new beaver dam and increased rain. Essentially I am attemping to map a small flood zone around a creek. What is the best way to go about doing this? All I have access to is a DEM (30m resolution) and some various shapefiles. I don not have access to archydro. Is there a fairly simple way to attempt this?

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

I f you already know how far the water will rise that correlates to the amount of precipitation, then you can delineate how far above the current mean water level the water will rise. Each cell in the DEM has an elevation value associated with it. You can then alter the symbology of the dem to show the different elevation levels (e.g. blue = current water level, red = how far water level will rise, green = area outside the floodplain. I am not sure that a 30m DEM will have the resolution you are looking for, but I think it is a start.

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

anneism

anneism

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • No Country Selected

Unfortunately I don't have the data...its just kind of a quick school project really rough estimate is what I am aiming for. Someone suggested creating a variable buffer but I am not sure if that works?

Edited by anneism, 04 April 2010 - 01:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->