16 replies to this topic

DanTheMapMan

DanTheMapMan

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Canada

Well, I must say, this forum is my most exciting mapping internet find yet!

I have been making maps and doing GIS / GPS work since graduating in 2001, I took "Digital Cartography" at the Centre of Geographic Sciences, I also did an Advanced Diploma in Marine Geomatics. I have been in my current position with the City of Moncton GIS group since 2004. One of my latest accomplishments was getting one of my maps into the ESRI Calendar, and the same map was also chosen to go in the latest edition of the ESRI Map Book.

I am now working on this years edition of this map, and I will certainly be looking for some feedback on it at some point. This is a Tourist map of the city, which requires EVERY street to be named, along with many different attractions, trails, etc, etc. The biggest challenge of it is that they limit the paper size, and it makes it very hard to fit all the text.

I look forward to browsing the forums and getting feedback from other map makers & lovers!!

-Daniel

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Hi Daniel,
I just noticed you seemed to have fallen through the crack between 2 newbies without a proper welcome!
and from New Brunswick no less! (Acadien?)
So welcome to Cartotalk. We all look forward to your posts and contributions.
You should show the forum your ESRI calendar map. I am sure many would like to see it.
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

DanTheMapMan

DanTheMapMan

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Canada

Thanks!

I am going to try and visit as often as possible!

here is a link to my Entry in the ESRI Calendar : http://www.esri.ca/english/9514.asp

Not a very good quality image, I will be making a post eventually about this map, and will link a higher quality one.

-Daniel

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

We can wait on the "about" part -- post the hi-res version now! Looks pretty good even when fuzzy. :)

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

Thanks!

here is a link to my Entry in the ESRI Calendar : http://www.esri.ca/english/9514.asp

Not a very good quality image, I will be making a post eventually about this map, and will link a higher quality one.

-Daniel

DanTheMapMan

DanTheMapMan

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Canada

Thanks Charles!

Whats the best way to share files here?? I see I can only upload 1mb to here... the smallest I can make it and still have it look good is a 6mb PDF....

-Daniel

We can wait on the "about" part -- post the hi-res version now! Looks pretty good even when fuzzy. :)

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics

Thanks!

-Daniel

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

Oh, right.....you have a raster background on it. Do you have a web or ftp page where you can post it as a link?

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics

Thanks Charles!

Whats the best way to share files here?? I see I can only upload 1mb to here... the smallest I can make it and still have it look good is a 6mb PDF....

-Daniel

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

I'm looking at the map & the first thing I see is the background, & there is also too much empty space. Is the city of Moncton the area of interest? Because I get the impression that there might be more data to the south of the city. I don't see a DEM, & can you add zoom controls so that we can view the map.

I took "Digital Cartography" at the Centre of Geographic Sciences, I also did an Advanced Diploma in Marine Geomatics.

I was one of the Carto One students who failed in the first semester during the 2000-2001 school year. Great school, tough course work, & the training was very intense. But those were good times from failing to returning & getting my diploma after four long years. Unfortunately for me "there was no job other then as a cart pusher" & it took me three years to decide to do some freelance work in order to do what I feel my true career path is.

Now your need to know that things have changed since 2001, you can no longer take the Marine Geomatics program without a degree unless you have completed the full two year surveying courses. However coincidentally the Advanced GIS, & Remote Sensing concentrations are now opened up for graduates of the Geographic Sciences regular diploma type programs. I know this by checking the NSCC site once in awhile.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Here is something that you can do
Open your whole document in Photoshop
flatten and crop it
play around with the image size till its just under 1Mb
Usually about 17 inches at 150 DPI RGB does it.
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

DanTheMapMan

DanTheMapMan

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Canada

I'm looking at the map & the first thing I see is the background, & there is also too much empty space. Is the city of Moncton the area of interest? Because I get the impression that there might be more data to the south of the city. I don't see a DEM, & can you add zoom controls so that we can view the map.

The empty space is just that, empty.... there is nothing south of the city but trees..... what you see is what you get! :)

There is a DEM there, but this is Moncton, not BC, so there is not much relief... just a few different shades.

I took "Digital Cartography" at the Centre of Geographic Sciences, I also did an Advanced Diploma in Marine Geomatics.

I was one of the Carto One students who failed in the first semester during the 2000-2001 school year. Great school, tough course work, & the training was very intense. But those were good times from failing to returning & getting my diploma after four long years. Unfortunately for me "there was no job other then as a cart pusher" & it took me three years to decide to do some freelance work in order to do what I feel my true career path is.

Now your need to know that things have changed since 2001, you can no longer take the Marine Geomatics program without a degree unless you have completed the full two year surveying courses. However coincidentally the Advanced GIS, & Remote Sensing concentrations are now opened up for graduates of the Geographic Sciences regular diploma type programs. I know this by checking the NSCC site once in awhile.

So, there is a good chance we have met :) I was at COGS right from 1999 - 2002 with Carto & MGEO....

Anyway, here is a link to a high-res on Imageshack :)

Posted Image

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Posted Image

Thanks for the link, the map overall looks very good but I have some minor concerns with the design. Now I don't mean to sound like {can't mention her name} but I'm wondering if there is too much detail based on the overall RF of the map. What I mean is that the some of the local strets are touching each other, & all of the streets are labelled. In other words from the days of COGS I remember being taught about generalization & simplification of the data. For example many of the street names are overlapping line work. I'm not sure if the final was produced from ArcMap, Illustrator, or CorelDraw, but based on the assumption that this product is meant for tourism I'm thinking that there is too much detail for the average user.

Clean corners are an issue when it comes to the ramps but this is no way your fault since I've learned through my freelance work that what we learned at COGS does not prepare you enough for the real world. However Charles showed me a technique to fix that problem & if you ask him he'll explain it a little better then I could. BTW it's a very easy technique.

In the keymap check the shorelines of both the River & the Lake. Check the waterbody text, not a fan of that colour.

BTW overall I like the final design though I am able to find some errors. However I think that {you know who} likes to work a little too much with CorelDraw when the focus of the design work should be Illustrator, & MAPublisher.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

DanTheMapMan

DanTheMapMan

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Canada

Posted Image

Thanks for the link, the map overall looks very good but I have some minor concerns with the design. Now I don't mean to sound like {can't mention her name} but I'm wondering if there is too much detail based on the overall RF of the map. What I mean is that the some of the local strets are touching each other, & all of the streets are labelled. In other words from the days of COGS I remember being taught about generalization & simplification of the data. For example many of the street names are overlapping line work. I'm not sure if the final was produced from ArcMap, Illustrator, or CorelDraw, but based on the assumption that this product is meant for tourism I'm thinking that there is too much detail for the average user.

Clean corners are an issue when it comes to the ramps but this is no way your fault since I've learned through my freelance work that what we learned at COGS does not prepare you enough for the real world. However Charles showed me a technique to fix that problem & if you ask him he'll explain it a little better then I could. BTW it's a very easy technique.

In the keymap check the shorelines of both the River & the Lake. Check the waterbody text, not a fan of that colour.

BTW overall I like the final design though I am able to find some errors. However I think that {you know who} likes to work a little too much with CorelDraw when the focus of the design work should be Illustrator, & MAPublisher.

The final product is from Illustrator, however, I am self taught and I am sure there any many things that can be done, which I have no clue how to do! LOL

as for generalizing, I have tried in vain for the last 3 years to either make the map size bigger to relieve alot of the overlapping stuff, or generalize the roads quite a bit. However, they don't want to make the paper size bigger because of cost, and I cant remove streets any street labels because this map serves many purposes besides tourism, and all the streets must be present & labeled.....

I have been working every year at cleaning up the looks of the curves in the roads (ramps, highways, trails, etc) but as far as the time I have to spend on it every year, the updates take priority over the fine details like that, unfortunately.

I would love to spend about 3 or 4 times as many hours on this as I am able too, however, it just wouldnt fly with the higher-ups for budget reasons.

and yes, I know exactely who your taking about at COGS.... I would be curious to hear her review of this map!

-Daniel

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Hasdrubal - take it easy on the newcomers, this is the introductions part of the forum, not the map gallery! ;)

Dan - welcome!
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

The Doomed Mapper

The Doomed Mapper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • United States

Hey there Dan! Got to say I approve of your name (my name is also Daniel). :D I'm sorta newish myself, but I wanted to give the well wishes regardless!

I understand the frustrations about overlapping text... the place I work for published a series of travel guides with a similar level of maddening detail. However, obsessive fiddling with text is something of a passion/sickness of mine. Out of curiosity, what is the size of the street font?

DanTheMapMan

DanTheMapMan

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Canada

Hey there Dan! Got to say I approve of your name (my name is also Daniel). :D I'm sorta newish myself, but I wanted to give the well wishes regardless!

I understand the frustrations about overlapping text... the place I work for published a series of travel guides with a similar level of maddening detail. However, obsessive fiddling with text is something of a passion/sickness of mine. Out of curiosity, what is the size of the street font?

the font is much smaller then I would like it to be... we learned never to put anything less then 6pt on a map, but this is an insane 5.16, arial narrow........ it used to be smaller 2 years ago, like 4.9 or something....

The Doomed Mapper

The Doomed Mapper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • United States

the font is much smaller then I would like it to be... we learned never to put anything less then 6pt on a map, but this is an insane 5.16, arial narrow........ it used to be smaller 2 years ago, like 4.9 or something....

We actually use 5.0ish fonts in our printed maps quite often where I work, although your right, that arial narrow is a challenge. Have you tried using a different font, such as Frutiger Roman? Not only can this text case well inside road linework , but at 5.0 it actually looks pretty good at 100%...

See attached for visual...

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->