8 replies to this topic

Pete

Pete

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • United Kingdom

I've just finished putting together this little map/poster/leaflet for a time trial and cycle race.

I had intended to make a 3d block map like the housing in the countryside maps I'd made before but my little laptop was not able to process the 3d effect so I had to go for a complete re-think. I managed to keep much of the base of the map - the colours and textures - but I didn't know what to do with buildings and trees. I had made little 3d hero buildings and I was going to reuse my tree heroes from the housing in the countryside maps but on a top-down map they just didn't look right.

Quite by accident I landed up with this:

Attached File  races.gif   592.72KB   221 downloads

What do people think?

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

I like it Pete. The color and type all work really well to provide the information clearly.

To add more punch to it, I would suggest making the arrows connected and ontop of the street so they dominate the map and road. Its a bike race, so make it look like its really a bike path for the meantime, not for cars. The pointy trees pulled my attention a bit - they seemed like weedy thistle tops. Can you round the corners and soften them?

Also, milemarkers would help.

Thanks for sharing! Well done

loximuthal

loximuthal

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • United States

I found the arrows from race hq confusing. Before reading the text I thought one of the races started there, turned left, did a u-turn, and ended (somewhere?). If you need arrows from hq I'd make them a different color.
Andy McIntire
US Census Bureau

dvd mccutcheon

dvd mccutcheon

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • United Kingdom

It's good Pete.

Agreed the HQ building, arrows and text would be better in a different colour. Also agree on the trees - Palms in Moray? Not sure about the mile markers. All racers have bar-top computers and will be well aware of distance & time elapsed/remaining.

It took me a second to figure that the black arrows and text relate to the Australian Pursuit, and the red to the Time Trial, so you may consider making that connection clearer. A cross-section would be useful, especially for the TT - or is it all flat? Useful, but difficult to fit in with this format.

An in-road turn on a TT? I'm sure the Police would never allow that down here!

You may have guessed - I'm a cyclist!

David

David McCutcheon FBCart.S
dvdmaps.co.uk

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • United States

I like it, but have a couple of minor criticisms:
1. the directions mention "culloden road", but I couldn't find it labeled on the map. Maybe people who would be using this map would know where it was?
2. The red arrows along the road from race hq to the TT and APR routes looks like it's part of the TT route.
(oh, now I see, that's culloden road (right?) - I think the red is too similar to the red used for the TT route and the same kind of arrow adds to the confusion)

I think those are giant Scottish thistles ;)

I'm a little surprised to see "miles" on this. Isn't the UK on the metric system? :P (actually, my experience is that there are still road signs and many other cases where one might encounter non-metric units in use in the UK (as well as other former UK colonies, such as Canada)) :)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

I liked it instantly.
I found the colors,trees and buildings appealing. Though I would soften the tree points like others said.
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

The scenery is nice, but I like to clarify the route more. I deal more with sightseeing charity rides than with races, though. I'd put the full route right on the map:

Posted Image
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

dvd mccutcheon

dvd mccutcheon

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • United Kingdom

I hope this is a very rough draft Dennis, although I get your drift. Continuous route arrows may be the way to go.

The route from HQ to the start is now part of the race route, as it is now the same colour. And you have continuous arrows along the routes, but have the old pink/grey route arrows there too. Shoddy. You have also attempted to clarify the start/finish points, which needed doing, but I don't think your solution works. The labels are in the wrong place, and I'm still confused looking at it.

The grey/red/black distinctions have also been lost. They needed clarification as I have mentioned - this version just makes the situation muddier.

I know I can be harsh from time to time, but will give you the benefit of the doubt and guess that this was not intended to be a finished solution.

There is not a lot wrong with this map, imo.

I organised and rode cycling Time Trials back in the day, and would have loved to had this sort of information before I started. Top notch.

Just a thought Pete - how on earth can the Moray Firth Cycling Club afford to pay for this map? I know a little about the state of British cycling at club level, and it's on it's knees!

See this Link

For Time Trials, the situation is just as bad. The Police and Local Councils would prefer we don't exist.

tata,

David

David McCutcheon FBCart.S
dvdmaps.co.uk

Pete

Pete

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • United Kingdom

Good evening sports fans!

Thanks for all of the responses and in such a short time - I think that must be some sort of record for one of my burnt offerings :lol: !

I thought I had this map licked earlier today but, in keeping with the map's troubled start it all fell apart - Illustrator burped up the dreaded "An unexpected error has occurred" message. I lovingly refer to this as the "Eastenders Error" as the message pops up and in the back of my mind I can hear the duff duff, duff duff duff duff-duff-duff-duff ... :( ! Would it save? No. Would it open the old file? Would it fff...fun :angry: ! Back to the drawing board.

I managed to salvage the background from a previous draft and redid all of the top layers and annotation. Luckily I had the image I'd posted here for reference so it wasn't too bad :rolleyes: .

Riiiiiight, where to start ...

The pointy trees have been rounded off and roughened up a bit so they look a bit less geometric.

Mile markers (what are these miles I keep hearing about?!) are maybe a bit superfluous given the length of the races. If the routes covered larger distances I'd probably add something along those lines.

A route profile is out of the question - I'm trying to encourage people to enter these races! MFCC is blessed with one of the most difficult 10's in the north of Scotland and the APR goes up the same hill 5 times ... I wouldn't want to ruin the surprise ;) ! Also, as dvd indicated - there's not a lot of space on the layout.

My justification for the red-black-pink was the club colours but the pink was a lousy colour to use with hindsight. I've changed the pink to blue ... the old club colour!

"Culloden Road" has been added as annotation seeing as how it's referred to in the text.

The routes have undergone a complete overhaul. The time trial route was offset to either side of the road to highlight the fact that is is a there-and-back course. This also meant that the overlap between the TT and the APR could go down the space between the lines. The arrows were all moved into the middle of their respective lines and were also used in an opacity mask (I don't know what I did before I discovered opacity masks!) to blot out parts of the lines. The lines were also made a little transparent. Further justification for the offset and transparent effects if it were needed would be that I didn't go out of my way to paint the white lines down the middle of the roads to go and cover them up with big red and black lines :lol: !

So, without further ado ...

Attached File  races.gif   593.47KB   78 downloads

Thanks again for everyone's input - always appreciated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->