8 replies to this topic

axel

axel

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Sweden

I never made a map before. But there was no map showing what I needed so I made one myself.

This is a map for others who are searching for information on the place where they lost their friends and family in Khao Lak, Thailand during the tsunami in December 2004. It is aimed to show where the resorts and other points of interest where situated. I think that many people, like I where in january, is still searching for a map like this.

It is simply a satellite image trace. The hard work has been to get the data... to locate and identify the resorts in the area. The last eight months I have been interviewing survivors and locals in Khao Lak to get the data needed.

It is made for offset printing 16,5 x 23 inches.

This is a work in progress and I would be very happy for any advice on how to make the map look better. It has been a very long road to get to where the map is today, and I really want it to look professional. Can you guys help me out?

Directly to the PDF.

To the website www.khaolakmap.com

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Looks ok. Wouldn't you want to show the destruction too and things like that too?

Me and my family spend christmas 2003 there, and we really liked it (Bang Niang beach). Then there were several local maps, and I think there were maps on the Internet (maybe on that guy Richard Doring's website)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Oh, and by the way -- there have been several maps (maybe even lots!) in Swedish newspapers -- I don't know which country had most tourists there being hit by the tsunami, I think it might have been Sweden.

There was one really really good illustrating the force and power of the tsunami, in the biggest daily here, Dagens Nyheter, an oblique view of Bang Niang and surroundings, that did a lot to me to communicate the impact -- especially since it was a place where I had been. The map was an oblique view.

I found that graphic, actually in English as well: Article, w/ link to animated flash graphic
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

Axel,

This is an excellent first map! I have a few comments, mostly about the symbology.

First you should definitely add a legend for:
- Affected area
- The orange transparent blocks
- The yellow blocks
- the lighter green area (built up area?)

The thick dashed line for the affected area is too thick, so in areas where it makes tight turns it gets clogged up. You might try using a transparent fill color overlay to clearly indicate the affected area, as this is the focus of the map.

Maybe put the orange transparent blocks on a layer below the roads.

Otherwise this is an impressive job for a first time cartographer. Nice design work as well.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

franciscocartographer

franciscocartographer

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Maps, FC Barcelona, Cadiz CF, Phoenix Suns, Hiking
  • United States

This is a very appealing map indeed. I was in Phuket back in 1995 (during my Navy days) and was very saddened to hear the news about the tsunami.
I just like to add a few things:

1) The “La on” Village inset already has the names of the resorts and hotels, so it is not necessary to label them on the main map.
2) What projection did you use for the location map? Asia appears to be somewhat distorted.

Love the design!
--------------------------------------
Francisco Jimenez, GISP
Senior GIS Analyst & Amateur Cartographer

My webpage

axel

axel

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Sweden

Thanks for your input so far! You got many good ideas indeed on stuff that can be designed better. It's funny how obvious it becomes when you guys point them out. Affected area, legend, rearanging layers etc. Thanks, thanks, thanks!

I have to admit I have been stealing many of the design details that I have seen that you guys have been doing on your maps (and from other sources too).

I got two questions...

1. Paper and printing. I am looking for a high quality print shop that is good at printing maps. That can provide me with input on paper qualities and other post production issues. Do you have and thoughts about paper? I would like to print the map on a soft, thick "book" paper. But that still got the strenght and durability. Suggestions? The first version of the map is printed on a polypropylene paper. Very nice but the print shop made a total failure... So I need to do a reprint. Anyone got exeperience of printing map on polypropylene paper? hmm sorry for rambeling...

2. Line weights... any thoughts or good references? Any thoughts on typography size?

franciscocartographer>> No idea on what projection it is. I got it from a library of royalty free pictures. Just changed the colors and cropping.

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

Pikes Peak Lithography is generally considered one of the best large-format map printers in the U.S.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Pikes Peak Lithography is generally considered one of the best large-format map printers in the U.S.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And most expensive!

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

Your page size is under 20 x 28 so it opens up a lot of possibilities for printing on a small litho press. I'd suggest that you try to find a local professional printers organization, they usually have directories available on size and capabilities of their members. Check even for a national organization they may be able to get you someone who specializes in printing on polypropylene.
Rick Dey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->