4 replies to this topic

Montana

Montana

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United States

I made a geologic map using ArcMap for the USGS EDMAP program and need to turn it in via pdf. It is 1:22k and I need to export it to this scale. I know how to export to pdf but it seems like it only exports what is in the present screen. Am I missing something obvious such as - if I export it at say 1:75k I can resize it and all the features will remain detailed correctly? What would be the best program to use post Arc if this is the case?
Thank you!

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I think you need to step back into Arc and take a closer look at the settings you used. The map you made was at 1:22k on certain page size. Did you export the file in Layout View? What page size?

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Montana

Montana

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United States

I realize that the scale in ArcMap is at whatever zoom level I am at the moment, but I meant that the map I export needs to be at 1:22k. I have been exporting both in layout and not. Is there a way to change page size in layout? that might be my answer.

Crischan

Crischan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Spatial Information Design
  • Germany

You can easily change the page size for the layout in ArcMap at File -> Page and Print Setup
You better don't "Use Printer Paper Settings" for Map Page Size but deliberately set it to your required size.

Hope that helps!
Crischan Wygoda
http://wygoda.net

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hello Montana,

I always export my maps at a certain scale that I specify. I do all of my exporting in the page-layout view. I just double click in the scale box in the Toolbar and manually type in the scale. In your case I would type 1:22,000. Then under File , Page and Print Setup, I will uncheck Use Printer Page Settings and type in the size of the paper I want for the export. FYI In the page-layout view, you can right click on your map, go to properties and adjust your margins, insert scales, legends, etc...

Hope that helps,
kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->