• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

allison2

allison2

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

I am looking for software suggestions that would enable me to link textual data (ideally from excel or access) to city locations on a topographical map. I would then like to be able to extract data from the map via a keyword query. I am at a very beginner level and would like a program that is easy to learn and use.

I have been considering ArcGIS, but it is beyond my understanding and seems more complex than what I need. I have also been considering using Zotero with a ZoteroMap plug-in with OpenStreet maps that they have available, which seems to be the most user-friendly option I've found. But I am curious if there are others that might be a better fit. I have just recently been reading about using Flash or Mapserver with a database (but again, I am not familiar with more complicated databases like Oracle or MySQL - would like to use Excel/Access if possible), but both of those are new to me in how they would work.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thank you!

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Have you considered Google Earth (Pro)?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

radek

radek

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Switzerland

hi allison2

perhaps you should give quantum gis a go?

imho its one of the best free gis sotware you can get.. very user friendly.. yet powerful enough [with extensions] to stay useful once your needs grow..

for your textual data, you can read them straight from CSV files.. or invest some time and move to very powerful PostgreSQL + PostGIS combo..

good luck

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Have you looked at Microsoft's MapPoint?

Maybe if you tell us a little more about how you want to use it . . . For instance, why do you say you want it on a topographic map?
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

johnnyh

johnnyh

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

Seconding QuantumGIS... it's a pretty darn good program and getting better all the time.

GlobalMapper is also very capable program that is intuitive and easy to use... Cartographics are limited, however.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->