- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

C-Dub

C-Dub

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

Is there a standard way or policy when it comes to categorizing maps? If so, what is it or where can I find it?

I am not finding anything that is finite. If there is not a standardization for map categorization, could you provide me with any suggestions or professional advice on how to categorize maps for a map gallery?

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

I'm not sure there is a standard way of categorizing maps. I've seen some books (textbooks, atlases, etc.) break them down into thematic vs. reference. Others, physical vs. culutural. Or by region. Or pictorial vs., um, non-pictorial?There are probably as many ways to categorize maps as there are maps! :P It probablyalso depends on the particular maps in any given collection of maps. For example, if all of the maps are thematic the thematic vs. reference categories aren't going to help much in breaking down the set of maps into subsets.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

How are maps catalogued (categorized) in Libraries?

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

How are maps catalogued (categorized) in Libraries?

By subject, usually. Geographic first, then by theme within that.

To go back to the original question, I'd say you can adopt whatever categorization scheme fits your gallery and its raison d'etre. There are a number of different ways of theoretically approaching maps, and I'd start there. Or if you're feeling creative, invent your own. Unless you need to conform to some external theoretical structure (in which case it should already be clear what you will have to do), I'd think one of the joys of organizing a collection of anything is that you get to choose how to organize it. Kind of like making a map, come to think of it.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->