- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

jholmes14

jholmes14

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

I converted a photoshop image to a giff to retain the transparancy for georeferencing. I then took the image in ArcGIS 9.3 and converted to KML but when put into Google Earth the image quality is crap. Any ideas for how to improve the resoultion?
Thanks
Jackie

Edited by jholmes14, 28 March 2010 - 04:34 PM.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Do you need to take it over ArcGIS to get it into KML? Is there some other path you can try - opening it directly in Google Earth for instance (maybe you need pro for that...)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

If it's an image I think you mean KMZ rather than KML. I find the simplest way of adding an image overlay to GE is to georeference it and then look at the metadata to find the central lat/lon. Then fly to this coordinate in GE and add the image as an overlay. The image will centre on GE correctly and then all you need to do is to resize it (by holding down the shift key and dragging a corner) and rotate it slightly, if necessary.

I'm not quite sure where shapefiles come in here, but it is easy enough to convert these to KML.

Regards, N.
Caversham, Reading, England.

Laura Miles

Laura Miles

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Canada

I have had a lot of trouble with resolution converting to KML in ArcGIS. I had much better success with the free program "shp2kml". Not clear if you are trying to convert a shapefile though, as you say you have a gif. Though your subject line says shapefile.
Laura

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->