7 replies to this topic

ravenfoot

ravenfoot

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Canada

Hello All,

My name is Chris Brackley, and I have been making maps for over 10 years. So deep in maps I have been, that I haven't taken the time to connect with the larger cartographic community. I am thrilled to have found this website, and look forward to discussions, conversations and insights.

I run a cartography business in Ontario Canada, focused on making maps which are environmentally, socially and artistically creative. We work primarily for non-profit organizations, our maps strive to boil often complex issues and connections down to simple graphic languge. Our last few years have been focused pointedly on refining our hill-shading and oblique (or bird's eye view) mapping techniques (see attached file for a quick example).

If you have a minute, please check out our recently updated website:
www.asthecrowfliescartography.ca

All the best,
Chris

Attached Files

KrafftyMan

KrafftyMan

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:I like atmospheric science, geomorphology, cartography as well GIS.
  • United States

Chris,

Welcome to the site. As a new user here myself I can say there are a lot of interesting links and tips of the trade. I would be curious to read some of the tips in regards to your hillshade.

Cheers!

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Hi Chris,

Nice work! Welcome to the Forum.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Hi Chris, Welcome! Look forward to sharing ideas on the forum!

DanTheMapMan

DanTheMapMan

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Canada

very cool oblique mapping technique... I love the way you can see the elevation changes!

ravenfoot

ravenfoot

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Canada

very cool oblique mapping technique... I love the way you can see the elevation changes!

Thanks. This one was done as a labour of love - manually cutting and warping a flat image in photoshop. I have since learned about Natural Scene Designer, and have abandoned the painstaking work of manually pushing the land up...

The Doomed Mapper

The Doomed Mapper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • United States

Thanks. This one was done as a labour of love - manually cutting and warping a flat image in photoshop. I have since learned about Natural Scene Designer, and have abandoned the painstaking work of manually pushing the land up...

Welcome to the forum by another newbish type person to another! Love the elevation work there. So here's a question: even though Natural Scene Designer makes it easier, is there not a part of you that found all that detailed manual work to be immensely satisfying in some way?

ravenfoot

ravenfoot

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Canada

Welcome to the forum by another newbish type person to another! Love the elevation work there. So here's a question: even though Natural Scene Designer makes it easier, is there not a part of you that found all that detailed manual work to be immensely satisfying in some way?

Thanks for the welcome. You got me. I do miss it in a way. I don't know if I have as much fun in any software as in Photoshop. The immensely open possibilities to move, colour, shape and manipulate pixels is something I definitely enjoy. I in fact got my start doing manual drafting of maps. I thought that once I got trained in the digital techniques I would take something from digital production, but move back into the world of pen and ink. Time just doesn't allow it to be a marketable approach. When I was hand drafting maps I had lots of time, and little need of money....

Check out a couple my hand-drafted maps if you're interested...
http://www.asthecrow...0Pathfinder.htm
http://www.asthecrow.....anoe Lake.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->