OdeBode

OdeBode

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

Hello out there,

Does anyone know where I could find a good collection of USFS-style Road and Trail shields for ArcMap? Also, I have Adobe CS4 and could make my own, but I couldn't find documentation for doing that either.

Many Thanks!

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

Have you tried adding the Forestry style file to your Style Reference?
------
Esther Mandeno
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

OdeBode

OdeBode

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

Have you tried adding the Forestry style file to your Style Reference?

Yes. I looked at the Forestry style just now in the style manager and I don't see any road shields. I see where there is a FS road symbol included in the font 'ESRI US Forestry 1', but I don't know how to utilize it as a shield.

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

That's a good question, how to utilize a font character as an icon shield...
It should be doable. It's in there...let me go check...
------
Esther Mandeno
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

Ok, here's how:

In the Style Manager go to your local folder's Marker Symbol folder:
1) Wrong click (or right click) on the white space to the right of the folder list and add a new marker.
2) Under Properties/Type, choose Character Marker Symbol
3) Navigate to your preferred font symbol
4) Click ok and name it something unique (forest shield or whatever)
5) Go to your Label folder. Either add a new label or copy/paste a road label from the ESRI folder.
6) Go to Label Style - Symbol Properties
7) Then Properties, then Advanced Text, under type choose Text Symbol
8) Click on Text Background - Properties, then Symbol
9) Your new Symbol should be there for you to use!

Did that help?
------
Esther Mandeno

OdeBode

OdeBode

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

Yes, Esther, that worked just as you described - thanks for the help! I copied my new 'FS Road Label' to the ESRI.Style Labels folder and then went back to the map.

Then I tried to use this label to label one of my road layers, but I couldn't pull it up :( Here's what I did: Wrong click on the road layer, select properties. Click the Label tab. Click the Label Styles button to add the shield, but still see the same basic list.

I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to finish this map using arcmap, and that's ok. I've been putting off learning Adboe Illustrator and getting comfortable with the ESRI -> Adobe export without MapPub. But it's time...

This isn't a knock on ESRI. I've been able to compile and do some really cool things with a lot of data in a very short while. But when it comes to one-off, print-quality maps, I get the feeling that ArcMap is too bulky to be efficient at it. I will say that moving my data into a geodatabase to take advantage of annotation feature classes was a big plus. Still, for $2000, I would imagine that Maplex would include more tools to improve the heads-up editing experience.

I included a little clip of the map so you can get the idea of what I'm doing.

Attached Files

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

Maybe just leave it in your folder in the style manager, it should appear right at the top that way?
------
Esther Mandeno

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->