• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Francis S.

Francis S.

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Music: listening, playing (drums), recording. Rock, jazz fusion, jazz, blues.<br />Bicycling<br />
  • United States

I have a problem with type moving on it's own in Illustrator CS4. I just sent the below to Adobe Support, so I'd thought I'd post it here as well. Apologies if this was recently covered - I couldn't find anything on it.

I make street maps with a lot of labels.

From a master map, I drag-select and copy lines, areas and type, and then paste them into a new document. Sometimes the whole assemblage is rotated clockwise, and it is always scaled up or down.

So far I've noticed that certain, and repeatable, labels (straight or stacked type, not bound to a line) move in random directions. On the initial paste described above, there is no movement. The baselines of the labels are normal. After editing the map, and putting only the lines and areas in a clipping mask, I save and close the file.

Upon reopening the file, voila!, some of the type has moved - the same type moved to the same places. After making corrections, saving, closing and reopening, the labels seem to stay put - so far.

Relatedly, these very labels, once they've been pasted in, can't be selected (either tool) unless I drag-select a number of surrounding labels and shift-select to get down to the one, and then I must use the arrow key to nudge it, which then makes it selectable.

Somehow these rogue labels got corrupted.

This problem has huge negative ramifications for me and all of us in the mapping professions. Some maps have upwards of 10,000 labels (no typo). Can you imagine how angry a client would be if a bunch of type labels moved and weren't noticed until after printing? Pretty horrifying. And expensive.

Thanks for looking into this issue. Hopefully a fix will be coming very soon!!

on a Mac mini, AI CS4

Any thoughts? Has this happened to you?
Francis Stanton
Eagle Eye Maps

eagleeye@chorus.net
http://www.eagleeyemaps.com

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Francis,

Just a thought. Have you tried to use the Paste in Front option when pasting.

Good luck.
Chart

Francis S.

Francis S.

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Music: listening, playing (drums), recording. Rock, jazz fusion, jazz, blues.<br />Bicycling<br />
  • United States

Just tried that and unfortunately it didn't help. Thanks, tho'.
Francis Stanton
Eagle Eye Maps

eagleeye@chorus.net

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

We;ve encountered this problem too, generally in files that were translated from Freehand to AI CS2 or CS3. Is this true for the files giving you trouble?

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

Francis S.

Francis S.

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • United States

Sorry to hear you are having the same issues.

The big, main file I'm copying from was generated out of ArcView 9.3. It went directly into CS4. The changes happen in the smaller files I'm copying to, and only show when I save close and reopen them. I swear I'm seeing some things change even when I reopen a fixed file file later on. Today some county labels were gone. Nightmare!

It seems to be usually the same pieces of type, and it just occurred to me to flag those pieces by coloring them magenta in the main file, and changing them to black at the last minute.

As usual, Adobe "Support" has done nothing in the week since I've reported it.

I'm probably going to rasterize the maps before they go to the printer....
Francis Stanton
Eagle Eye Maps

eagleeye@chorus.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->