Photo

Graticules. Very simple task, difficulty accomplishing!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Jared79

Jared79

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • No Country Selected

My simple task is this. I can’t figure out how to get the graticule lines to show up on my map when I export it to jpeg, tiff, pdf, or anything else. The problem is by default the graticule lines show up in front of the countries or on top of them. I can’t send them to the back. The only way to send them back is to convert the grid to graphics. When I do this I can then send the graphic behind the countries, but when I export the map they don’t draw. Does anyone know how I can accomplish such a simple task? That is getting the graticule lines to show up behind the countries and then successfully draw? Any help is much appreciated!

Dustin Edge

Dustin Edge

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Australia

Why not just use a graticule dataset instead? That way you can decide their visibility order (below countries but above ocean)?

If you cant find a source dataset, it's quite easy to generate them at set intervals...

Regards
Kind Regards,

Dustin

Dustin Edge
Snr GIS Analyst
AECOM Australia

Jared79

Jared79

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • No Country Selected

Why not just use a graticule dataset instead? That way you can decide their visibility order (below countries but above ocean)?

If you cant find a source dataset, it's quite easy to generate them at set intervals...

Regards

Thanks for the reply! I just don't know what or where to get a graticule dataset or how to even start generating them at set intervals. Do you know where I can go to get started?

Dustin Edge

Dustin Edge

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Australia

Well...off the top of my head I know that Tutorial Data that comes with the ArcGIS dvd has a grid you can use.

Alternatively, to make your own:
Create new line shapefile in suitable geographic coordinate system
Start Editing to create a new line, and swtich to Sketch tool (pencil)
Before adding a vertex, Right-click and pick "Absolute X,Y or use short-cut key of F6
Make sure the coordinates are rounded evenly
Then for the end point, right-click again and this time pick 'Direction'. Enter 90 to get a perfectly straight line
To duplicate the line, you can then goto Editor and "Copy Parrallel"
This is where you input the graticule spacing you want to achieve...

Repeat the process for latitudes and you're done.

BUT...the easier option is to use ET GeoWizards from http://www.ian-ko.com which has a quick vector grid creator tool.
It's part of the free version....

Best of luck....
Kind Regards,

Dustin

Dustin Edge
Snr GIS Analyst
AECOM Australia

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Download graticules from Natural Earth, with multiple options of intervals: http://www.naturalearthdata.com/.

Jared79 - what software are you using?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Jared79

Jared79

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • No Country Selected

Thanks every one! I got it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic