• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hope this is useful to somebody:

Street name length vs street length

In short:
I've often come across short streets with really long names and labelling them is always a hassle, whether you do it manually or automatically. A second thing is that when I'm labelling streets I tend to mix regular and condensed versions of the same font, as space on the map dictates. As far as I know there's no automatic labelling solutions that support this, so I decided to combine these two concepts and come up with a street name length vs street length formula:
[number of characters in street name] / ( [length of street] / [width of lowercase a] )
This results in a number. If it's 1 or less, the street is long enough for the street name. If it's more than 1 it's too short.

So not a magic solution, but this helps you track them down so you can set up special rules for your labelling to deal with them.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

loximuthal

loximuthal

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • United States

What a great idea! I'll have to see if we can incorporate this calculation in our in-house mapping system. It shouldn't be too hard for us to measure road length and can count label characters as the layer is built. I suspect we would work in map units rather than ground units, but the results would be the same. Once we have a "van der Maarel ratio" ;) we can assign roads to distinct layers with differing label rule sets. Since our system is almost entirely automated (not much choice when our maps/day production often needs to be in the thousands) this will be most useful.
Andy McIntire
US Census Bureau

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Netherlands

"van der Maarel ratio"

You're making me blush, stop it :unsure:

But in all seriousness, I'd love to hear it if you find this is useful. It is actually unit-less to some extent: the letter width and street length are supposed to be in the same units but that's it.
Red Geographics

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

[number of characters in street name] / ( [length of street] / [width of lowercase a] )

I need a little clarification; are you creating a new field then applying an expression?

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

kay

kay

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Canada

Hi, Hans. This is a very nice formula!!
Thanks so much for sharing!

Cheers,
K

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Netherlands

I need a little clarification; are you creating a new field then applying an expression?

That's what I did in MAPublisher, yes. But this idea ought to work everywhere so that's why I wrote it out in more general terms.
Red Geographics

oldtoby

oldtoby

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • United States

You mean you dont like trying to place "George Washington Carver Boulevard West" on a .125 inch line segment?

;)

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Netherlands

You mean you dont like trying to place "George Washington Carver Boulevard West" on a .125 inch line segment?

;)

You mean you do?
Red Geographics

oldtoby

oldtoby

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • United States

;)

You mean you do?

those are ok. ;) I reserve a special hate for placing text on subdivisions with roads that look like a bunch of cooked spaghetti someone spilled on the floor.

19° norte

19° norte

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Mexico

I've often come across short streets with really long names and labelling them is always a hassle, (...)

Short Streets always have the longest name - at least that's the impression I have. Rule of thumb: the shorter the street, the longer the name. ;)
Long streets are called "C. A" or "Av. 38 Sur", but short ones have names like "Rinconada Hacienda de San Agustín de Tlajomulco" or "Johann-Sebastian-Bach-Strasse". In many countries there are rules to possible abbreviations, but here in Mexico everybody seems to abbreviate as she pleases, so you come across "P." that might be "Paseo", "Presidente", "Pedro", or have a number of other meanings.

My personal guess is that the "old" streets have been named with Juárez, Hidalgo, Hauptstrasse and all the flower, composer, countries, and mountain range names, and the new ones, often drawn by urban planners, have to take the "leftovers", which frequently are names of (local) "celebrities".

I remember a street sign in Münster, Germany, that had to be placed on 2 poles to prevent it from falling over. It's name: Manfred-Freiherr-von-Richthofen-Strasse. :D

The rule you suggest, Hans, makes sense to me and will help to get an idea of how much extra work is to be taken care of. If the amount is too high you might think about outsourcing the text placement job... ;)
Roland W. Hardt
19° | norte
http://www.19norte.com.mx

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Netherlands

I remember a street sign in Münster, Germany, that had to be placed on 2 poles to prevent it from falling over. It's name: Manfred-Freiherr-von-Richthofen-Strasse. :D

I think I can beat that... In Apeldoorn, The Netherlands (I'm responsible for their small-scale mapping, so that's why this is so close to my hear) there's the "Burgemeester Jonkheer Quarles van Uffordlaan".
Red Geographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->