19° norte

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Mexico

Hi CartoTalk -

I think it's time to introduce myself:
German educated Cartography engineer (FH Karlsruhe), worked in Germany and Canada (ITMB, Vancouver, B.C.). Since nearly 12 years I live and work in Mexico, the first 10 years I was head of the cartographic and geoinfo division at Quimera Editores, and since October 2008 I'm working at a university as project manager and development team leader for the official georeferenced populated places and postal code data base (yeah, believe it, there's none, even if some dubious companies are trying to sell something like this).

For almost 18 years I managed to work almost exclusively on Mac (cost quite a bit of convincing, though...), only other OS was Linux (Ubuntu rules!). Since I'm busy with the postal codes I had to cross over to the "dark side" (Windoze ;) ). Client (i.e. Correos de México) thought it would be better to use ArcGIS and MapGuide, although I had proposed Open Source (GRASS, Quantum GIS and MapServer).
I'm an old FreeHand fan (still prefer it over Illustrator, though I used Illy since version 5.5); MAPublisher user anyway (just beats any GIS software on design possibilities - hate those automated styles in ArcGIS and MapInfo).

So, here I am, having read in the background quite a bit, sometimes being tempted to answer, but thought it would be better to introduce myself first before starting. I hope to have an 'illustrating' time here and to be able to add something constructive to the forum.

Saludos,
Roland
Roland W. Hardt
19° | norte
http://www.19norte.com.mx

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Hi and welcome! Sounds like an interesting background, especially with experiences from so many countries.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Hi Rolandino! Welcome and hope to see you posting on the forums!

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

Just the other day I was looking at my 5 year old Quimera road atlas of Mexico and wondered if you were still "in the saddle"......I remember you from the old Map Mac days! Welcome to the forum. Some of us are still using FreeHand on Macs (along with the rickety old MAPublisher 5, which still cheerfully imports shapefiles brought over from 'doze machines!).

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

Laura Miles

Laura Miles

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Canada

Welcome Rolando!
I too did a brief stint at ITMB- nice to meet a fellow survivor! (Good old Freehand...wow!)
Laura

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->