Daniel Huffman

Daniel Huffman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • United States

Good day, CartoTalk denizens!

I'm writing to solicit your participation in a casual map redesign competition, hosted at my blog, Cartastrophe. The aim is to see if we can improve upon Charles Joseph Minard's famed map of Napoleon's march to Moscow.

I have no big prizes to offer (except some free maps), nor is winning my competition likely to be something worthy of putting on your resume. I am merely one graduate student. But, I thought it would be fun and would like to get as many people as possible involved.

More details here: http://cartastrophe....n-in-his-grave/

The deadline is June 1st, 2010.

Thanks for your indulgence, and I hope to see some excellent and inspiring works come out of this.

Attached File  Minard.png   670.92KB   142 downloads

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Where's the data?

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Funny, I was just thinking of tackling this map myself. I'll give it a shot, but what's your deadline?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Daniel Huffman

Daniel Huffman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • United States

Where's the data?

kru

A commenter on the blog post recently put up a handy link to a page which has the data in a few formats, including plain text: http://www.math.york.../re-minard.html. Then there is the map itself, which is a spatial database of sorts and one could scan it in and georeference it. Though I may be the only person who finds georeferencing old maps to be fun.

Funny, I was just thinking of tackling this map myself. I'll give it a shot, but what's your deadline?

A fortuitous coincidence. The deadline is currently June 1st. I'll edit the original post to indicate that. Thanks for giving this a try!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->