- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

swardrup

swardrup

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

We are trying to determine the amount of area for "plains", "rolling-hills", "mountains", and "other terrain" for our city for a grant application. But need some sort of slope classification system - ie. % slope rolling hills 10%-20% - something of this nature. Is there a slope classification standards for this type of application?

Thanks

Steven

johnnyh

johnnyh

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

Maybe make a call, or stop by office hours, of the local geology professor?... I was thinking about doing something similar for certain slopes/aspects for potential avalanche zones.

uriel

uriel

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • China

We are trying to determine the amount of area for "plains", "rolling-hills", "mountains", and "other terrain" for our city for a grant application. But need some sort of slope classification system - ie. % slope rolling hills 10%-20% - something of this nature. Is there a slope classification standards for this type of application?

Thanks

Steven

Hi

I think there is not an universal standard for classification, for there are different purposes of landuse. ie. building, agriculture, forest and so on.

Spitteus

Spitteus

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

In fact, uriel is right, but it is obvious that most of area amount will go to buildings.

Thad

Thad

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • No Country Selected

Why don't you just locate the areas you consider rolling hills, plains, mountains measure the slopes in those areas. Then do a rough classification based on dem slope measurements and then generalize these areas. You have to generalize because the base of a mountain may not have a steep slope but it doesn't really make it a rolling hill.

Make sense? Seems subjective to me, so as long as you document how you made your measurements (and that they are realistic) you should be ok.

Clark Geomatics

Clark Geomatics

Jeff Clark

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canada

I'm thinking the same as Thad - create a rough estimate based on a slope-degrees calculation (you can use GlobalMapper), categorize the slope quantitatively, then generalize.
Cheers,

Jeff Clark
Principal
www.clarkgeomatics.ca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->