• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

cpmuganda

cpmuganda

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Uganda

Greetings

I spent the first half of my life in Oregon but have now lived for a number of years in Africa. I currently use one of the very early Garmin hanhelds with no maps. The unit served me well for outdoor activities in the states and also for general use in Africa because maps were not readily available. Now however more maps exist for Africa. If I were to upgrade to a newer handheld what level do I need to jump in at in order be able to import say road maps for Uganda. I would love to be able to just up and buy a Dakota 20 but it is a bit expensive for me. How low can I go and still get what I need?

Thanks ahead of time for the advice

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I have an older Garmin unit that I use for geocaching - I know that it is possible to import open streetmap data into it (which I haven't tried yet) which is free. Don't know what is available for Uganda though!
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Crischan

Crischan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Spatial Information Design
  • Germany

Hi, looking at Kampala there is at least Openstreetmap Data for larger town available. Cloudmade also offers ready to use Garmin map files which can be used on any Garmin unit which can display maps. This could be an Colorado unit which I use or a eTrex, as long as it supports Garmin maps.

One thing though to remember: These are not offical Garmin maps and should be put onto an SD card which can easily be removed from the GPS device if the maps causes unit freezing!
Crischan Wygoda
http://wygoda.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->