6 replies to this topic

Montana

Montana

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United States

I am making a geologic map and have created quite a few shapefiles that overlay an imported topo map. Is there a way to combine some of these shapefiles (turn two features into one in the same layer)? I have tried modifying edges but that doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for.

Edited by Montana, 12 March 2010 - 12:11 PM.

Laura Miles

Laura Miles

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Canada

Use the ArcToolbox "Merge" tool (Data Management Tools > General) to put everything into one shapefile. If you need to dissolve the borders afterwards, use the "Dissolve" tool (Data Management Tools > Generalization).
Laura

Montana

Montana

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United States

Thank you! Does this work if I am just merging one feature from a layer to another rather than all the features from one layer to another?

Laura Miles

Laura Miles

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Canada

No...if you want to take one feature or polygon, if I understand what you are saying, you will have to take that one feature and make a shapefile of it first, then use merge. You can use the Select tool in ArcMap to select your feature, and once it is highlighted, right-click the layer in the table of contents and choose Data > Export Data. You will have the option to export the selected features only into a new shapefile.
Alternatively, you could maybe do some copy and pasting in an ArcMap edit session, but I haven't tried that out so not sure how it would work out.
Laura

Ninomax

Ninomax

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Vietnam

Thank you! Does this work if I am just merging one feature from a layer to another rather than all the features from one layer to another?

I think Copy and Pasting in a Editing Session is the way you need exactly.

Montana

Montana

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United States

Thanks all.
Yes, I actually need to both move a feature from one layer to another AND merge two features that are already in the same layer. they currently share an edge but I would like to combine them so that they are the same feature. I think I remember exporting in a class I took so I'll try that for moving a feature from one layer shapefile to another, but will that help me merge them once they're in the same layer?

Laura Miles

Laura Miles

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Canada

You can merge them in an edit session, with both polygons selected use the merge tool from the editor toolbar.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->