4 replies to this topic

OdeBode

OdeBode

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

I'm creating a recreation topo map of the Mt Hood area using ArcGIS.

I've noticed that the standard grid datum used in this medium is NAD27. I'm wondering why NAD83 hasn't become the standard, with explanations on how to convert back to NAD27.

Also does anyone know how to set up a UTM latitudinal zone in ArcMap, e.g. UTM Zone 10T?

Thanks!

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

What do you by "in this medium" in general for recreation topo maps or what?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

I make recreational maps, and I use NAD83/WGS84. I think that you see a lot of NAD27 b/c that is what the USGS has used for a long time. This is only a guess, but I think that the USGS would rather have their maps in NAD83, but that would cost a lot of time and money to reproject 10s if not 100s of thousands of maps/quads.

I've seen some shotty rec maps made recently in NAD27, but those are usually produced with NatGeos Topo series or DeLorme.

First thing you have to do is project your data in NAD83.

In the ArcToolbox click Data Management Tool---then Projections and Transformations---select the feature or raster that you want to project---then click the Output Coordinate System tab---Select---Projected Coordinate System---UTM---NAD83---UTM 10N(orth) (it is another way of saying 10T).

To insert the grid make sure your data frame is selected in the page layout view and then right click on it and go to properties. Then go to the grid tab---select new---measured grid. You can play around with the options to get it how you like.

Hope this helps, and I am sure there are other ways to do this,

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

OdeBode

OdeBode

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

kru,

I think you are right about USGS being the basis for using NAD27.

I received and installed All Topo Maps Pro from iGage today. It's nice software for exporting geotifs of USGS quadrangle maps complete with the collar. See attached 'UTM_Grid_Ex.png'. In this example I exported the USGS quad in UTM Zone10/NAD83. Then I added a UTM/NAD27 grid per your instructions.

Notice how the grid is offset from the corresponding blue tick marks on the quad's collar. The ArcMap grid is offset about 100m east and 15m north of USGS' tick marks for the same projection/datum. This mimics what I'm finding when I overlay the same grid on data I downloaded from the USFS, and then compare it to maps of this area from other map-makers (Trails Illustrated, Green Trails, and Geo-graphics).

Any ideas on why the ArcMap grid is not lining up?

btw - all three of these companies projected their maps in NAD27. GreenTrails uses Lambert Conformal Conic projection and the other two UTM Zone 10. Actually Trails Illustrated says 'Projection: UTM Zone 10T', but now I understand that the 'T' is just a subset of the Zone 10 projection.

Attached Files

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

I'm sorry but we have left my realm of capability. I've done a little rubbersheeting with geotiffs in my life, but not enough to guide others. I thought that you were working with raw data in ArcMap.

I'm not familiar with Green Trails or Geo-graphics, but I know the TI works with raw data.

Your problems reads as though you are projecting a NAD27 grid on a NAD83 map, and those two different grids will be offset. There is a big difference between NAD27/83, particularly in the Pacific NW.

Why would you want to use a NAD27 grid? Have you tried placing a NAD83 grid on your map or have you tried exporting a NAD27 map and then placing a NAD27 grid on it?

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->