dvd mccutcheon

dvd mccutcheon

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hello Carto Talk,

I have been in the industry for 30 years, and have recently returned to Freelancing.

Mostly I have been involved in producing maps for the Publishing sector, using Adobe products on the Mac.

A recent offering which has reaped some rewards is outsourcing offshore - I have suppliers in India and Cape Town who are very able and their work has been commended by my clients.

Finally, two projects I have worked on during the last six months have won awards. One awarded by IMTA, and one by a prominent travel magazine. Both awards were Silver - but I'm going for Gold this year!

(Good. Now that I have signed up I can join in Guess that Location! Seems like a fine way to waste time on slow days

:D

David McCutcheon
www.dvdmaps.co.uk

David McCutcheon FBCart.S
dvdmaps.co.uk

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

Hello yourself, from another oldtimer (shall we start a 30 year club?). The samples on your site are classics of the UK style -- letterspaced arterial street names, lots of Gill Sans, it's all there! Tell me -- do you ever miss scribecoats, type stickup, and opaquing negatives? Me neither! ;)

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

Hello Carto Talk,

I have been in the industry for 30 years, and have recently returned to Freelancing.

Mostly I have been involved in producing maps for the Publishing sector, using Adobe products on the Mac.

A recent offering which has reaped some rewards is outsourcing offshore - I have suppliers in India and Cape Town who are very able and their work has been commended by my clients.

Finally, two projects I have worked on during the last six months have won awards. One awarded by IMTA, and one by a prominent travel magazine. Both awards were Silver - but I'm going for Gold this year!

(Good. Now that I have signed up I can join in Guess that Location! Seems like a fine way to waste time on slow days

David McCutcheon
www.dvdmaps.co.uk

dvd mccutcheon

dvd mccutcheon

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hello Charles,

Well, opaquing negatives I didn't mind. We used something called Plumtree Red Opaque, applied by brush. It used to be called'duffing' in UK parlance.

Give me a light frame and a pile of negs and I could happily duff away all day!

David

Hello yourself, from another oldtimer (shall we start a 30 year club?). The samples on your site are classics of the UK style -- letterspaced arterial street names, lots of Gill Sans, it's all there! Tell me -- do you ever miss scribecoats, type stickup, and opaquing negatives? Me neither! ;)

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics

Hello Carto Talk,

David McCutcheon
www.dvdmaps.co.uk

dvdmaps.co.uk

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

I'm familiar with that term "duffing" -- when I worked at th Ontario Government back in the late Jurassic, a lot of my co-workers and bosses were Ordnance Survey trained UKers. I suppose the modern day equivalent of this kind of relaxing routine work would be tracing linework -- although constantly improving GIS datasets and editing methods have been reducing the volume of that kind of work to a minimum. :rolleyes:

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics

Hello Charles,

Well, opaquing negatives I didn't mind. We used something called Plumtree Red Opaque, applied by brush. It used to be called'duffing' in UK parlance.

Give me a light frame and a pile of negs and I could happily duff away all day!

David

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Hi David,

Great to hear someone with your experience has joined the gang. Lots of interest from newbies like myself to join in discussions with the 'pros'.
Love your website too - very well formatted and the maps are exceptional.

dvd mccutcheon

dvd mccutcheon

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • United Kingdom

[blush]

dvdmaps.co.uk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users