- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

mkartusch

mkartusch

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Canada

Hi all, just wondering if anyone out there has purchased a map folding machine? I work for a municipal government, and are looking to possibly purchase a machine to fold our 2 sided maps (36"x24") that I print in our office. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

s hubbard

s hubbard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Altitude..Archery..Alaska..Appalachia..Apothecary..Asiana
  • United States

what city? i want to live there...ya'll have money for a map-folding machine? cool
our city would probably hire consultants for a feasability study, have three public forums, then outsource it to china. :blink:
s hubbard
www.hubbardmapworks.com
2539'

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Hi all, just wondering if anyone out there has purchased a map folding machine? I work for a municipal government, and are looking to possibly purchase a machine to fold our 2 sided maps (36"x24") that I print in our office. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Yes that is the analogy I,ve been looking for.

Some days are like...I 've been put through a map folding machine. :o

Seriously, You will probably find those at local printing or distributing companies.
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

A machine for folding maps that size is likely not going to be cost effective unless you're producing large quantities of maps on a regular basis - 1000s on a weekly, or at least monthly basis, I would say. And if you're doing that you're still likely be better off farming the job out to a local commercial printer/bindery. Paper-folding machines are noisy so you're probably not going to want to have one sitting in an office environment.

If you have an in-house offset printing/bindery operation that's another story.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

A machine for folding maps that size is likely not going to be cost effective unless you're producing large quantities of maps on a regular basis - 1000s on a weekly, or at least monthly basis, I would say. And if you're doing that you're still likely be better off farming the job out to a local commercial printer/bindery. Paper-folding machines are noisy so you're probably not going to want to have one sitting in an office environment.

If you have an in-house offset printing/bindery operation that's another story.

What Dave said.

Further, they take a hell of a lot of training to make work right... and they're made not to fold individual maps from a plotter but a sizeable print-run. Binderies go through a lot of "make-ready" to get all the blades and such lined up right. Recycling 100+ copies while they're getting set up is normal, even conservative.

They're pretty cool though. Sometime if you're getting a map printed, ask to go to a bindery check—like a press check, but to be sure they're folding it they way you want them too. The whole folding process is as much art as science, it often seems to me.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

M.Denil

M.Denil

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • United States

It is certainly true that a folding machine is not likly to be cost effective unless you are running a printing shop and can fold lots of things every day. Generally they are large, noisy, finicky, but very flexible, reconfigurable machines; because every folding job is different.

You will likley run into problems with paper that has come off a small cored roll, like most plotter paper: that paper has a strong curling 'set' to it and will tend to jamb most machines. This will make finding a jobber (who has a machine) to fold them problematic too.

I invetigated printing a large folded map in the Philippines once: the printer told me he intended to have all the folding done by hand.... talk about sweatshop labor...

M.Denil

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

I actually used to run large paper folding machines way back when, prior to and while I was working my way through college. Nat and Mark are correct.
(Occasionally we did do some hand work, too. Sometimes it's more cost effective for small runs. Sometimes it's the only way to do some things or to finish off maybe the last fold. So it's a good idea to talk to your printer/bindery about what is feasible for them to do on their machines.)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

david17tym

david17tym

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United Kingdom

We use a Basys Foldjet 2000.
Very flexible if but a bit noisy....
Dave

bruno

bruno

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Italy

Thanks!

Hi, have you eveer heard of a manufacturing company from Italy called Neolt? They make folding machines with a special functionality for folding maps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->