• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

PhilU

PhilU

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • No Country Selected

I agree on the border. I underestimated on the recommendation to move the title. I made a more significant change this time. I used a darker shade of the background shading for the city boundary.

I should have done this process on the main General Plan Map. Like the Design Corridors Map, I made a lot of change on it; but it still lacks the flair I was shooting for. I'll have to go back and try again.

Attached Files

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

I think the new, clean version is a terrific improvement. Bang on-message; where we are now and where we want to be at some time in the future.

Regards, N.
Caversham, Reading, England.

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Hey. Some familiar looking ideas there. Looking nice.

But I would move all the callout paragraphs outside the city limits. Make the two on the right much narrower; move the two on the left up or down. Since that makes it hard to use a pointer from the gray top bar, use the gold of the explanation as the pointer.

I'm not sure what you're doing with regard to the justification; it seems inconsistent. Some punctuation seems to hang while other punctuation doesn't. I much prefer a ragged-right paragraph with consistent "color" to a poorly justified one riddled with big wordspaces.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

I much prefer a ragged-right paragraph with consistent "color" to a poorly justified one riddled with big wordspaces.

So do I, but I still think that the latest version is a great improvement. As an experiment, I've lifted a block of Phil's text and set it, see the attached PDF. This should import to AI, where it could be broken-up as required, resized (but keeping the aspect ratio!) and put in a box, et cetera. It's Arial and Times New Roman, but I see the fonts in V3 have changed. The box below the plain text is just a crude attempt to get somewhere near one of Phil's callouts.

Done with XeLaTeX, free, quick and relatively easy.

Regards, N.

Attached Files

Caversham, Reading, England.

Kartograph

Kartograph

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Germany

Very nice!

The label placement could use some tweaking, if you have the time. "Freedom Blvd" would be an example of such a problem.

If you really have the time, think about doing the "ghosting" of labels by hand, instead of the standard "halo" effect. Especially when the "halos" overlap in textblocks of two lines or more, the resulting "buffershape" is creating a distracting sensation.

A rather minor quibble, but still.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->