Laura Miles

Laura Miles

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Canada

Hi Everyone,
I'm using ArcGIS 9.3 and need to rectify some historical aerial photos. When I use the "Rectify" command, I'm experiencing a loss of resolution. My boss doesn't want me to use Update Georeferencing, which doesn't cause this same resolution loss, but wants me to find a way around this. <_< I believe it is caused by the resampling of the rotated pixels. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?
Thanks,
Laura

s hubbard

s hubbard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Altitude..Archery..Alaska..Appalachia..Apothecary..Asiana
  • United States

Hi Everyone,
I'm using ArcGIS 9.3 and need to rectify some historical aerial photos. When I use the "Rectify" command, I'm experiencing a loss of resolution. My boss doesn't want me to use Update Georeferencing, which doesn't cause this same resolution loss, but wants me to find a way around this. <_< I believe it is caused by the resampling of the rotated pixels. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?
Thanks,
Laura

sounds weird (boss)
why can't you just fit to display, control point it, and transform?
are these scanned copies of the photos?
the loss of resolution may be from the rubbersheeting of the photo to fit your data >>
s hubbard
www.hubbardmapworks.com
2539'

Dustin Edge

Dustin Edge

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Australia

that is weird. Did your boss say why you should not use "Update Georeferencing"?

When you use the rectify option, it asks for the cell size, maybe the default value isn't small enough for the photos?
Kind Regards,

Dustin

Dustin Edge
Snr GIS Analyst
AECOM Australia

Laura Miles

Laura Miles

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Canada

Boss wants a "permanent" file...not sure why a georeferenced file is not "permanent" though. I have tried reducing cell size to 1/4 the default value, but it produces really huge files. Oh well sounds like that's the only solution. ESRI forums seem to indicate there is no real solution to this resolution loss, and Rectify is more for data which will be used in analysis, not photos displayed on a map. But, whatever the boss wants, right? :D

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Boss wants a "permanent" file...not sure why a georeferenced file is not "permanent" though. I have tried reducing cell size to 1/4 the default value, but it produces really huge files. Oh well sounds like that's the only solution. ESRI forums seem to indicate there is no real solution to this resolution loss, and Rectify is more for data which will be used in analysis, not photos displayed on a map. But, whatever the boss wants, right? :D

When you rectify are you using bicubic resampling?
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

Laura Miles

Laura Miles

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Canada

I have tried bicubic, nearest neighbour, and the other two. For some photos bicubic produced a better result, but strangely not for all...

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Maybe try to increase the resolution in the rectifying process?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Laura Miles

Laura Miles

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Canada

Yes, it seems that is the solution...unfortunately it produces a large file but there doesn't appear to be any way around that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->