snowgage

snowgage

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • United States

Good Afternoon,

I am interested in creating a web based mapping application. I've never done this before and dont know where the best place to start is. I'd like to have a simple but concise base map and then give users the ability to turn on/off layers with a set symbology.

I have access to ArcInfo and CS4.

I'd be willing to use GoogleEarth as a platform if that works although I'd prefer to use my own base data (truemarble and hillshades I've created).

Can anyone suggest a good place for me to start?

thanks in advance,

Josh

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Good Afternoon,

I am interested in creating a web based mapping application. I've never done this before and dont know where the best place to start is. I'd like to have a simple but concise base map and then give users the ability to turn on/off layers with a set symbology.

I'd be willing to use GoogleEarth as a platform if that works although I'd prefer to use my own base data (truemarble and hillshades I've created).

thanks in advance,

Josh

If you can output a KML. If not & if you have CS4, then get MAPublisher if you can afford it & learn the Web Author Tool. Other then that take a lot of time & start reading material related to ASP.NET, JavaScript, Databases, & Structure Query Language. It will take a very long time for you to learn if not years of patience & discipline. For the time being focus on your strength & go to it.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

redbeard

redbeard

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • United States

Try looking at goeserver and openlayers.

Andrew

Andrew

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Web development, and golf!
  • Australia

Good Afternoon,

thanks in advance,

Josh

Hey Josh

Have a look at MapServer, there are a few other open source options as well which look cool. An afternoon of googling would return a few options. I did find MapServer easy to get up an running and some good examples out there. Check out MapServer here

Andrew

Ninomax

Ninomax

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Vietnam

You can try Mapnik and Openlayer. :)

snowgage

snowgage

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • United States

Thanks for all the great info everyone.

I'll definitely start with Mapserver but in the long run I am willing to put the time into learning a new language and new skills.

In my opinion, web-based mapping applications are a pretty hot item in cartography and GIS at this time. I feel like my strengths are in fine cartography but in the interest of become more diversified, I want to learn some new skills. Many of my clients mention web based options and if I can spend time learning how to create these interfaces, I'll ultimately be more marketable as a GIS professional.

If you can output a KML. If not & if you have CS4, then get MAPublisher if you can afford it & learn the Web Author Tool. Other then that take a lot of time & start reading material related to ASP.NET, JavaScript, Databases, & Structure Query Language. It will take a very long time for you to learn if not years of patience & discipline. For the time being focus on your strength & go to it.

So ASP.NET is the way to go? JavaScript and Structure Query Language would help. Sounds like things get a lot heavier once I want to take it to the next step. How about learning flash? Would this be useful?

cheers,

Josh

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

So ASP.NET is the way to go? JavaScript and Structure Query Language would help. Sounds like things get a lot heavier once I want to take it to the next step. How about learning flash? Would this be useful?

cheers,

Josh

The web author tool in MAPUblisher outputs the files as flash mapserver files. You can take a look at the tool as a way to streamline your work.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Kartograph

Kartograph

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Germany

A bit late to the show, but I´ve found this new Open Geo Suite offers some nifty tools, that makes the whole process mor ebeginner-friendly. Lets you add google maps IIRC with no hassle.

http://opengeo.org/

They offer a free version [community edition] as well as paid services for support and customization.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->