Hello

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Navi Gator

Navi Gator

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Apart from maps, I am a keen sailor and navigator.<br />Whilst I am happy about the GPS revolution of all things geographic, I would still like to learn astro navigation.
  • United Kingdom

As a long standing cartographer (I even remember scribing and photo interpretation) for many years I have been creating maps in Illustrator.

I am more of broadly an information graphic designer these days and the prospect of combining data with maps intrigues me.

I am keen to explore how best to utilise Illustrator/Flash/Flex and data.

One tool to fast track this I have come across requires map information to be delivered as a .shp file. I have posted a question to the forum about this format and how I can achieve it.

Looking forward to browsing more of this site in the coming weeks.

s hubbard

s hubbard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Altitude..Archery..Alaska..Appalachia..Apothecary..Asiana
  • United States

hello navi gator >>

get yourself a trial version of ArcMap and play around with it. there's lots of tutorials on how to do (probably) what you need. ArcMap Eval

or we can help assist...maybe

welcome to CT B)
s hubbard
www.hubbardmapworks.com
2539'

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

There are many options - if your main concern is to be able to handle .shp files in Illustrator there are simple conversion tools that can convert these to CAD format (that Illustrator can open). There is an option of having limited GIS capabilities in Illustrator (MAPublisher). Then there are some open source GIS packages that would also be useful for this - QGis and uDig for instance.

And finally there are some cheap GIS software like Manifold and GlobalMapper.

I would start by playing with uDig and see how that feels, then look into Manifold.

If your main concern is just to be able to use shape files in Illustrator, then ArcGIS is likely overkill.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Hi Navigator - welcome. Would love to hear more about hand drawing maps :)
Am also doing some Flex based mapping myself - a fun platform if you don't mind the programming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->