- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Navi Gator

Navi Gator

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Apart from maps, I am a keen sailor and navigator.<br />Whilst I am happy about the GPS revolution of all things geographic, I would still like to learn astro navigation.
  • United Kingdom

A project I am working on requires me to take maps drawn in illustrator and convert them to an .shp file before I can upload the .shp file to a tool which will associate data with the map.
I realise that to overlay this map onto Google Maps or other GIS mapping the illustrator map would need full projection info and coordinates, but I do not need this functionality at this stage.
I thought it would be possible to convert from .svg or another Illustrator format, but my initial searches have not turned up anything obvious.
Any help appreciated.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,804 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

A project I am working on requires me to take maps drawn in illustrator and convert them to an .shp file before I can upload the .shp file to a tool which will associate data with the map.
I realise that to overlay this map onto Google Maps or other GIS mapping the illustrator map would need full projection info and coordinates, but I do not need this functionality at this stage.
I thought it would be possible to convert from .svg or another Illustrator format, but my initial searches have not turned up anything obvious.
Any help appreciated.

There's MAPublisher, a plug-in for Adobe Illustrator that, amongst other things, lets you georeference existing Illustrator files and export them to shapefiles.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

kay

kay

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Canada

MAPublisher provides you many GIS functions with Adobe Illustrator. You can import many data formats (.shp, .mid-mif, .tab, .kml, .kmz...etc.etcc..). You can export your layers to a GIS data format (there are a bunch of the formats available, too). You can assign a coordinate system and re-project your map within Adobe Illustrator, too. Also, you can create attribute table and manipulate them as well.

That's a handy software :)

Cheers,
K

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

If MAPublisher is a little expensive try outputting as a dxf or dwg file but be prepared to update your tables & georeference the drawing to the proper coordinates. I'm sorry there's no easier way that I know of.
"Abbas of novus versus"

DHissemGISCARTO

DHissemGISCARTO

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Canada

Any help appreciated.

There's MAPublisher, a plug-in for Adobe Illustrator that, amongst other things, lets you georeference existing Illustrator files and export them to shapefiles.

As Hans mentioned Avenza Mapublisher 8.1 will allow you to work on a shapefile then export that shapefile for use in another application ... for example ESRI products, and does it quite cleanly. I work with the program often and have only had a couple small errors (of my own doing) but well worth the look into if you have the spare cash, last time I looked something around $1300 dollars for full app.
Darryl Hissem
"The virtue of maps, they show what can be done!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->