5 replies to this topic

viacorsa

viacorsa

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • United States

Hi guys

I'm looking for vector based maps of Germany and several German cities. I can buy them as long as I can buy commercial rights to reproduce. They need to be vector based..IE. Adobe Illustrator. Free is best, but I do expect to have to pay to get them.

Layers need to have primary roads, secondary roads, highways, lakes, parks, ect...

Thanks!

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I'm looking for vector based maps of Germany and several German cities. I can buy them as long as I can buy commercial rights to reproduce. They need to be vector based..IE. Adobe Illustrator. Free is best, but I do expect to have to pay to get them.

Layers need to have primary roads, secondary roads, highways, lakes, parks, ect...

You can get OpenStreetmap vector data for free, but that's raw data and not maps so you'd need to either produce a finished map from that or have somebody do that for you. There's also OpenStreetmap raster data.

Another option is Mapcreator, they can deliver finished maps in Adobe Illustrator format. There's a licensing fee involved but it's not too steep.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

ceicher

ceicher

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • United States

Hi Via Corsa,

Geofabrik has Shapefile versions of Open Streetmap data.

All of Germany is here: http://download.geof....de/osm/europe/

Individual states are here: http://download.geof...europe/germany/

I've used data recently from this site. I found the .shp format easier to bring into my ESRI geodatabase than the raw XML format available from osm .org

I'm not sure how often the data are updated, but the time stamp seems to say "today" March 1st, so maybe they update monthly?

The quality can be a little poor, but it was much better than I expected (I was working with the 'Ile de France' extract).

Mainly I found the "Type" categorical attribute rather difficult to deal with. I'm no OSM expert, but here seems to be no standard for this, and people have attributed quite widely, even within just this one area. I found various French terms mixed in, and also this oddity in the WATERWAYS dataset.

"type" = 'La Seine'

Clearly someone felt that this one particular river deserved to be assigned a very special type (not name)....

...I've never heard of it though ;)

...So I just deleted it. Cartographers license I like to call it ; )

Good luck,

-Cory

viacorsa

viacorsa

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • United States

You can get OpenStreetmap vector data for free, but that's raw data and not maps so you'd need to either produce a finished map from that or have somebody do that for you. There's also OpenStreetmap raster data.

Another option is Mapcreator, they can deliver finished maps in Adobe Illustrator format. There's a licensing fee involved but it's not too steep.

Thanks! Is there a link for Mapcreator? Google pulled up a lot of different websites..and any number of them could be the one you're talking about? Thanks!!

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Thanks! Is there a link for Mapcreator? Google pulled up a lot of different websites..and any number of them could be the one you're talking about? Thanks!!

http://mapcreator.eu/en/
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

sknecht

sknecht

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:hyperlocal vector maps
  • Germany

Hi Via Corsa,

United Maps does have all of Germany as a vector dataset up to 1:500. See http://unitedmaps.net for more.

Drop me an eMail at knecht@unitedmaps.net and I'll send you sample data.

br,
-sk.
Stefan Knecht, CIO United Maps, Munich, Germany.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->