• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hello All,

It has been a bit since I posted a map, but that is due to clients. This client didn't mind if I posted it so here is my draft.

The purpose of the map is to show people how to get to the staging areas/check-ins, and to show the trail. This map will be placed on the back of a flier, and the front will mention all the specifics.

I don't map city areas too often, so this is kinda new ground for me.

Programs used are Arc and Illy.

Vet it hard,
kru

Attached Files

"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Good job, really! Nice and clean and concise.
What do the different color trails resemble?

Do you use Crk for creek of Ck?
Maybe a label for Fayetteville?

Funny you have squirrel marker, and others. But are they important? If you only show the parking symbol, you will be able to place it accurately on the map, since this is something ppl will be trying to find, from there the trailhead, and maybe later on the toilets :)

Thanks for sharing!

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

Good, clean map....I like it. And if I were trying to find the staging areas, I would have no problem.

Oh yeah, thanks for including "Exit" numbers off the highways and interstates, that is sometimes an overlooked piece of essential information on directional/location maps.

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • United States

Looks nice and clean. Good colors.

Why abbreviate crk? There's plenty of room to spell it out everywhere.
I'm wondering if there is any way you could make the arrangement of marker symbols in the legend and on the map match. In the legend it's more vertical. on the map they're more horizontal.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Thanks for the suggestions.

Abbreviation is just my style, I'm more apt to use these instead of a condensed font. I like a lot of kerning. You are right, there is plenty of room for 99% of things on this map except "Park Ave", and that dictated going to the abbreviations. It is all or nothing for me, and that one label forced me to go with this style.

The markers are not a requirement, however, I need to specify which amenities are available at each staging area. The volunteers need to know where they can receive first aid and find water. I could write a text box, but I thought that the lexicon icons helped bring attention to the staging areas.

The different colors trails only represent that they are different trails. Although, they are the same kinda trails so maybe they should be the same color?

I prefer Crk vs. Ck for creek. I don't know what the standard is, but I always use Crk.

The Squirrel icon is my watermark. It comes in all shapes and sizes depending on the map and client, but it is always found on my maps somehow.

I don't know how to arrange the icons on my legend to layout in the horizontal fashion, but on the map they need to be horizontal because of 'Wilson Park'. I want to fit them in between Wilson Park and North Street. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the comments.
kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

Montana

Montana

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United States

Great map! As a Fayetteville native, I think the squirrel icon is great.
the icons look good as they are, I think. Really clean map!
Rose

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • United States

Great map! As a Fayetteville native, I think the squirrel icon is great.
the icons look good as they are, I think. Really clean map!
Rose

Hello Rose,

Thanks

A Fayetteville native, do explain. Me, I'm from Winslow, hence the squirrel.

kru
Strabo 22AD

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

Hello Razornole/Kru,

A great map. Very clean as all have said before. I too thought the different colored trails meant something significant. As they are two different trails, it seemed significant enough to name them and color them different, so does that mean they warrant explanation in the legend? Not sure, but it did made me think that the usage on each was different and I hunted around to try to find out what that may be.

One other minor thing - the bottom most Scull Creek Trail reads 'down' the map and not 'up' like the rest above it. Not sure if it matters, but I noticed that all your other vertical or near vertical labels read 'up'.

The vertical legend versus the horizontal icon layout on the map didn't faze me. Overall, an excellent map.
------
Esther Mandeno
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • United States

Hello Razornole/Kru,

A great map. Very clean as all have said before. I too thought the different colored trails meant something significant. As they are two different trails, it seemed significant enough to name them and color them different, so does that mean they warrant explanation in the legend? Not sure, but it did made me think that the usage on each was different and I hunted around to try to find out what that may be.

One other minor thing - the bottom most Scull Creek Trail reads 'down' the map and not 'up' like the rest above it. Not sure if it matters, but I noticed that all your other vertical or near vertical labels read 'up'.

The vertical legend versus the horizontal icon layout on the map didn't faze me. Overall, an excellent map.

Hello Esther,

Yeah, I'm never quite sure how to orientate the text, but I try no to make it upside-down. Hence the rotation. As a rule, I try to keep everything the same, and if I have to change I try to make 2 or 3 in the same orientation so there is not the lone stand-out. On this map I didn't follow the rule, and honestly it was an oversight on my behalf. Great catch.

kru
Strabo 22AD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->