6 replies to this topic

OdeBode

OdeBode

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

I need to put together a Cartographic Desktop and was wondering what the consensus was: MapPublisher, Manifold or ...?

I'm going to be putting together a topo map of the Mt Hood area in the style of the National Geographic Trails Illustrated series. I have a PC with 64bit Win7 and Adobe CS4 (PS & Illustrator). many thanks

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Why not both? Manifold is a GIS application, MAPublisher (one p) is a cartography application. There is a degree of overlap between them, but they are aimed at different parts of the market. For editing and maintaining GIS data, Manifold beats MAPublisher. For producing a map, MAPublisher beats Manifold.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

It may be that you can get away without using MAPublisher, if you have good enough GIS software to prepare the data for Illustrator. I see the main niche of MAPublisher for workflows where one does not use that.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

I would say for GIS work Manifold, plus it's a far cheaper alternative then MAPublisher. But for publication MAPublisher makes the work flow easier, & the added touch of using Illustrator as a partial GIS. But what area of expertise you are looking to do? If you want to be a cartographic artist MAPublisher is king with Illustrator, if you want to be a GIS analyst then lay off MAPublisher & start off with Manifold building your income towards ArcGIS.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

OdeBode

OdeBode

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

At this point, I'll be producing outdoor recreation topo maps, so no GIS analysis (other than creating hillshading & contours from DEMs), so it sounds like MapPublisher is the consensus.

I use ArcGIS at my day job and I'm very familiar with it. In fact I'm using an evaluation license at home to do my first mapping job, but obviously it's not the most cost-effective solution for cartographic applications like this. MapPublisher is not exactly inexpensive either, and having not used it before, I want to make sure I'm making a wise decision.

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

If you're on a budget I'd probably go with Manifold and Illustrator. If you have the extra cash you could add the Mapublisher plugin , but I wouldn't spend any money until you are certain you need to. You could also use ArcGIS alone. This past year at the ESRI user conference I was impressed by the quality of maps coming straight out of ArcGIS.

Donald Milne

Donald Milne

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Mapping (of course), traffic engineering, comics, history, roadtrip travel.
  • United States

If you're on a budget I'd probably go with Manifold and Illustrator. If you have the extra cash you could add the Mapublisher plugin , but I wouldn't spend any money until you are certain you need to. You could also use ArcGIS alone. This past year at the ESRI user conference I was impressed by the quality of maps coming straight out of ArcGIS.

I would agree. I began with Manifold and purchased ArcGIS when my income stream allowed. I've been getting very nice quality from ArcGIS directly.

- Don Milne,
http://milneenterprises.weebly.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->