7 replies to this topic

anniec

anniec

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • United States

Ok this is something that seems like it should have an easy answer. For some reason I haven't been able to figure it out so I thought I'd ask you for help. I have to re-create about a dozen individual district maps which should display streets only inside the district. In other words, I have a county wide street file but I need to display streets only inside each individual district. Is there a way to do this without clipping each district's streets (like make those outside the polygon appear "invisible")? I'm not going to have much time to dedicate to this tomorrow so I was looking for something quick and easy. Heh.

Thanks in advance!

Nicholas_C

Nicholas_C

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

Ok this is something that seems like it should have an easy answer. For some reason I haven't been able to figure it out so I thought I'd ask you for help. I have to re-create about a dozen individual district maps which should display streets only inside the district. In other words, I have a county wide street file but I need to display streets only inside each individual district. Is there a way to do this without clipping each district's streets (like make those outside the polygon appear "invisible")? I'm not going to have much time to dedicate to this tomorrow so I was looking for something quick and easy. Heh.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you basically want a mask of the other districts surrounding a specific district. One way to do that in ArcView would be to select all the districts surrounding the one you want to focus on, then export the selected data as a shapefile, and place that over the top of the streets layer.

This is nice if you want partial tranparency of the mask, but clipping may be just as fast, and may avoid further problems (albeit solvable) with labeling.

anniec

anniec

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • United States

Thanks for your reply Nicholas. That sounds more reasonable than clipping out streets a dozen times and setting symbology for each one.

Thanks again for your help!

Nicholas_C

Nicholas_C

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

No problem. If you're using automatic labels the problem w/ this method is that labels for the streets may appear over the top of the mask. If so you can go into the label properties for the mask and in the conflict detection dialog box set it up so that the mask can't be overlapped by labels.

I believe that their are some easier masking solutions in the more expensive versions of Arc but this is the workaround I figured out for the "cheap" version. I'm sure others on the board may have other, possibly easier, methods for you as well.

anniec

anniec

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • United States

I forgot about labels over the mask. The original projects were created by another technician and I'm trying to figure out what she did because the streets file points back to our server (which is the original full file). The complaint with her maps was that the streets were not labeled well which created a problem for the person needing the maps. Her symbology is also screwy and needs to be re-done. I'm going to experiment with Maplex tomorrow and see if I can get the streets to label well enough to be satisfactory, as I don't have time to hand-label it all.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

Dustin Edge

Dustin Edge

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Australia

Rather than create clipped versions of the same streets data, you could do a virtual clip.

Double click on the data frame to bring up the Properties window
Goto the Data Frame tab
Under the 'Clip to Shape' Section check the Enable box
Click on the Specify Shape button
Choose 'Outline of Features'
Pick your Districts shapefile

BUT....this process clips everything, so you may not want to go down that road.

To virtually clip a single (or select few layers) then do this:
Right click on your Data Frame
Goto 'Advanced Drawing Options'
Tick the 'Draw using masking options specified below' box
Select your Districts file from the left-side
Select the layers to be masked from the right-side

And you're done.

Both options work with the "cheap" version of ArcMap

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dustin
Kind Regards,

Dustin

Dustin Edge
Snr GIS Analyst
AECOM Australia

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I think I would add a 'District' field to the street database and just use a different Definition Query for each map. You could populate it with a spatial join, but you would want to segment all the streets at district boundaries first.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Dustin Edge

Dustin Edge

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Australia

One neat way of really drawing focus to your map is by selective symbology.

Symbolise the district of interest to a hollow polygon.
Symbolise all other polygons with a 40% grey (or something like that)
Apply a transparency of about 20%
Move this layer to the very top
And it should look something like the attached screenshot

This way, you still have road connectivity across the district boundary.

Attached Files

Kind Regards,

Dustin

Dustin Edge
Snr GIS Analyst
AECOM Australia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->