5 replies to this topic

smellykev

smellykev

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Australia

Not sure how this fits in with the the more professional maps around here..... but 'tis a map nonetheless. Completed for a local tourist magazine... Undertaken while I am in China...so just goes to show that everything really is made here.....

For whatever reason (blocked internet sites and so on) I wasn't able to get any handy base maps to politely steal from, so had to resort to good old Google Earth screen captures.

[url="http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x252/smellykev/?action=view&current=FINALbundymap2.jpg""]http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x252/sm...ymap2.jpg"[/url]

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

I find the map attractive, simple and clean. at least potentially
The problem with cartoon maps is usually clutter. In this case the clutter is caused by the lettering and the middle inset box
Avoid that font and the white outlines. Wild goofy fonts overpower the information and your drawing and It,s hard to read
a font you may try is Dom casual.
If you want a challenge, you could probably fit the content of your box insets directly into your image. It may be more work than your project requires though,
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

smellykev

smellykev

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Australia

I find the map attractive, simple and clean. at least potentially
The problem with cartoon maps is usually clutter. In this case the clutter is caused by the lettering and the middle inset box
Avoid that font and the white outlines. Wild goofy fonts overpower the information and your drawing and It,s hard to read
a font you may try is Dom casual.
If you want a challenge, you could probably fit the content of your box insets directly into your image. It may be more work than your project requires though,

yeah, thanks for that... I see what you mean. I chose the comic sans font (in photoshop) for the simple reason that is is called 'comic'... and, well, its a cartoon map.... B)

I'm downloading different font types now as we speak...will have a look at Dom. Thanks again!

Regarding the inset box...yeah... i first tried having just one map without insets, with the city centre distorted (ie, out of proportion to rest of the map) to to allow for the placement of the various desired features... Trouble is, it really threw out the accuracy of the map... (ie distorted the roads too much) and made the coastline appear right on the city outskirts, which it is not. (despite the man-eating plants and giant turtles and sharks in pools, I'm trying to retain some sense of geographic reality.. :D )

Not sure how else I could have gone about it... Suggestions welcome!

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Well Kev, (is that your name?)

Perceptions of space, proportions and distances are a lot more malleable than we think. There is almost always a way to squeeze something in that is much bigger scale and yet preserve the illusion of plausible distances. But the only way to do it is by experimentation and it is hard to do.

Short of that, I would just suggest to at least change the overpowering red square and letters that hides the smaller scale center. Maybe you can give it a different color floor and refer to your inset
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

Not sure how this fits in with the the more professional maps around here..... but 'tis a map nonetheless. Completed for a local tourist magazine... Undertaken while I am in China...so just goes to show that everything really is made here.....

For whatever reason (blocked internet sites and so on) I wasn't able to get any handy base maps to politely steal from, so had to resort to good old Google Earth screen captures.

[url="http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x252/smellykev/?action=view&current=FINALbundymap2.jpg""]http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x252/sm...ymap2.jpg"[/url]

Hey Smellykev,
I actually like it. I'm one of those dweebs that like comic sans. :o But, I do see what Jean means about the readability of the font. In regards to the insets, those seem fine to me. I use insets all the time though so maybe it's not so great for tourist maps. Good job doing it all from the deep, dark depths of China. ;)
------
Esther Mandeno
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

smellykev

smellykev

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Australia

Thanks comments and advice.... The Dom font suggestion was appreciated...yeah, it does make a difference.

don't have the time to play around with the insets..... but the magazine editor is happy with 'em anyway. I also don't really like the main title layout... but the editor seems to like that too. I guess that's the main thing!

http://i184.photobuc...v/fixedmap1.jpg

With my 'toon maps I kinda feel like a kid with a little toy tonka truck wandering around a big rig truckie loading zone... the professionalism of some of the maps exhibited on the cartotalk site is pretty mind blowing...

Maybe...just maybe I'll get up there one day. I guess however that just quietly and slowly easing into this business is the way to go.... Beginners started somewhere i suppose... :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->