5 replies to this topic

d_say

d_say

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Australia

Hi everyone,

Got a quick question here relating to putting text on a line in Illustrator CS4.

I understand that when you have create a line (river, road...) you can label it and you can use the 'Type on Path' tool for a curved line. Now i know when i do this it deletes the properties of the line but still creates the text in the curve of the original line.
I have got around this by copying the line feature and then placing a copy directly over the top of the original line, then i apply the text to the copied line as it does not matter about deleting the line properties as the original is underneath it.

My question is, is this the only way of labeling a linear feature or am i missing something here? I have been wondering about this for some time and have been trying to see if there is a different way of doing this.
I originally migrated over to Illustrator from CorelDraw12 about a year ago and was used to the way in which Corel handles labeling a line. (It keeps the line properties)

Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Dean

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

different way of doing this.

I'm afraid not.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

different way of doing this.

I'm afraid not.

What Hans said. The only time saver I'd say is, duplicate the feature layer you are going to label from, lock all other layers, and apply text to these items. To clean up, select text objects, then inverse, and delete.

The fact that you cannot "un-text" a line that has been made into text-on-a-curve is one of the most annoying things about AI right now. A number of times I've had linework "disappear" because I accidentally made it into a text-on-a-curve, and there's no easy way to convert it back into a line object, like you could in FreeHand.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

Peter Finch

Peter Finch

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi everyone,

Got a quick question here relating to putting text on a line in Illustrator CS4.

I understand that when you have create a line (river, road...) you can label it and you can use the 'Type on Path' tool for a curved line. Now i know when i do this it deletes the properties of the line but still creates the text in the curve of the original line.
I have got around this by copying the line feature and then placing a copy directly over the top of the original line, then i apply the text to the copied line as it does not matter about deleting the line properties as the original is underneath it.

My question is, is this the only way of labeling a linear feature or am i missing something here? I have been wondering about this for some time and have been trying to see if there is a different way of doing this.
I originally migrated over to Illustrator from CorelDraw12 about a year ago and was used to the way in which Corel handles labeling a line. (It keeps the line properties)

Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Dean

Hi Dan,
It is possible to use your original line if you use the direct selection tool to select the now invisible line. You can then
apply your preferred line style to the line. You then have the text and line as a single layer object which may or may
not be an advantage to you.

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

For me ignorance is bliss, I have never known a vector program other then illustrator, so I just learned how to work with it from day one.

If I have to label a whole lot of curvilinear features, I make one simple master path that is sinuous. It has a series of concave-up and concave-down curves of varying angles. Then I type on the path and push or pull the text until it is on curve that matches my feature. Finally I rotate my text box so that the text is snug to my feature. When that feature is labeled, then I Ctl+C and Ctl+F, drag the text line to a nearby feature, change the text, then push or pull it to a curve that fits the feature I am labeling, and finally rotate.

It is a pretty efficient method, and I can typically label about 90% of my features that way. The other 10% I just draw a new path.

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

d_say

d_say

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Australia

Hi Dan,
It is possible to use your original line if you use the direct selection tool to select the now invisible line. You can then
apply your preferred line style to the line. You then have the text and line as a single layer object which may or may
not be an advantage to you.

Yeah for me personally i used to do it this way, however i normally apply all my text labeling at the end so it got a bit annoying to redo the features properties.
I have now adapted to the way to copying the feature and then pasting it on top as i find this is more productive for me.

I asked this question as part of my job is teaching the new first year uni students an introduction to using illy for map creation, i have found that i need to make things as simple and as easy as possible so that they can follow (you all know how confused they all get :) ) I used to teach them the method you have suggested however a lot of the students could not grasp the concept so yeah i have been writing up a series of practicals and revising over them. Just been re-writing the text labeling and placement section.
Looks like i will be sticking with the method of copy and pasting the feature first and placing the text on its own layer.

It would be very nice if Adobe did decide to update the text labeling feature so that it is similar to the way in which CorelDraw works. One can only hope i suppose....

Cheers for the feed back, now i can stop wasting my time trying to search over the internet for an easier way.

Cheers,
Dean

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->