4 replies to this topic

CartoWannabe

CartoWannabe

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

Hello everyone,

Occaisionally I need to create very simple maps consisting of a few counties and towns, but have not had success finding a program to help me simplify the process. Currently I grab a mapquest or google map and then electronically trace over the map manually in a graphic editing program. Idealy I would be able to choose the counties and towns and the software will draw the borders ecetera. Years ago I had a program called Harvard Geographics which was excellent for its time, at least IMHO.

I have attached an example. The link below will also show the example. All guidance is appreciated.

Example

Thanks,

-Steve

Attached Files

Jan Helebrant

Jan Helebrant

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:GIS, open-source, graphics (both 2D and 3D), multimedia, taking photos
  • Czech Republic

I think you can create such maps very easily using for example free Quantum GIS and data from here:

1) administrative boundaries from GADM - download from Diva GIS data server
2) cities - you can extract only those few needed from the OpenStreetmap shapefiles from Geofabrik

and prepare simple layout in map composer (it allows you to create more different layouts). Whole solution is free of cost ;)

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

Nice free solution.....but you would have to try it a few times to see whether it would actually save time. My guess would be no -- you still have to import to a graphics program and edit. You might be able to draw from scratch in less time, and get a better result, depending on the amount of detail and area coverage.

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

I think you can create such maps very easily using for example free Quantum GIS and data from here:

1) administrative boundaries from GADM - download from Diva GIS data server
2) cities - you can extract only those few needed from the OpenStreetmap shapefiles from Geofabrik

and prepare simple layout in map composer (it allows you to create more different layouts). Whole solution is free of cost ;)

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I would also check the stock photo websites to see if they have vector art that you could easily modify. Stock/clipart is so cheap these days!
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Jan Helebrant

Jan Helebrant

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:GIS, open-source, graphics (both 2D and 3D), multimedia, taking photos
  • Czech Republic

I would also check the stock photo websites to see if they have vector art that you could easily modify. Stock/clipart is so cheap these days!

Yes, sometimes the clipart is even free :D
If you want to use some and edit it in vector drawing software, why not use this for example - USA political map which is Public Domain and you can edit it simply in Inkscape.

So we have another free solution :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->