• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

I'm not trying to kill this thread at all or change it, go team USA! But I was wondering if anyone knows where to find data about the Olympics. I thought that it would be fun to work on a map while watching the Olympics. I hate when raw data is represented, this country has X gold medals and X silver medal, etc... (we tend to harp on this in America). Does anyone know where data can be found that list the number of participants per country and medal counts? I think that it would make for an interesting multi-variate graduated symbol map.

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

I'm not trying to kill this thread at all or change it, go team USA! But I was wondering if anyone knows where to find data about the Olympics. I thought that it would be fun to work on a map while watching the Olympics. I hate when raw data is represented, this country has X gold medals and X silver medal, etc... (we tend to harp on this in America). Does anyone know where data can be found that list the number of participants per country and medal counts? I think that it would make for an interesting multi-variate graduated symbol map.

kru

A little painful but it still shouldn't take that long if you search by country & check out in the top right where you will notice 1-15 of 205 items; or in this case the last number is what is listed for that country: http://www.vancouver...ympic-athletes/

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

kru

A little painful but it still shouldn't take that long if you search by country & check out in the top right where you will notice 1-15 of 205 items; or in this case the last number is what is listed for that country: http://www.vancouver...ympic-athletes/

I found that website which would work for 2010, but I was thinking more along the lines of the entire Olympic history.

Anxiously waiting for the snowboard cross,
kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

spesseh

spesseh

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Norway

New day, new possibilities.

Looking forward to the curling match Norway - Canada. Its gonna be rough but exciting.
Then i hope Axel Lund Svindal takes it home in Alpine Super Combined.
And of course its time for a gold medal in Biathlon.

So far Norway has 2 silver and 1 bronze. It is not really Norway at its top i would say. Maybe the glory days are over for Norwegian winter sports.....hmm
Andreas

Visit my Blog: http://www.gisintersect.com

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

New day, new possibilities.

Looking forward to the curling match Norway - Canada. Its gonna be rough but exciting.
\

Double whammy day. Canada over Norway in both hockey & curling. And at the end of the day there's nothing but the crying. :lol:

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->