- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

ez_duce

ez_duce

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

As for the map, it's very handsome work.

Wikipedia notes that "Although it is commonly known in English as the Ivory Coast, the Ivorian government officially discourages this usage, preferring the French name Côte d'Ivoire to be used in all languages. " The CIA World Factbook agrees.

Cote d'Ivoire, if you are going to use the French spelling then include the diacritics, if you don't it is a misspelled word.

I don't know that it reaches the level of misspelling. I have the impression that for Western European languages, it's not uncommon to see upper-case usage without the diacritical marks. Am I misremembering?

Sorry, didn't mean to open a can of worms. All I remember is when I was in school (before wikipedia was popular), I got an "F" on my map for misspelling Cote d'Ivoire" I thought I would be cool, and think outside the box and refer to country with the French spelling, only I didn't include the diacritic because I didn't know how to produce them (and I didn't realize their importance). After I received that grade, I thought that I would never make that mistake again.

There is a happy ending though, I learned that my teacher was hard, but fair. He didn't mind giving everyone "Fs" during the semester, but the final grades were usually pretty fair.

David, I like the green much better. For me, I can never think of my maps as graphics. They are visual graphics, but more importantly, they are maps. I always treat them as such.

kru

My 2-cents:
I used to live in Côte d'Ivoire and they do very much discourage the use of "Ivory Coast".

Agnar Renolen

Agnar Renolen

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • No Country Selected

Just a small comment. The overall impression is very good.
But I suggest that you place the city labels along the coast out in the sea rather on land where there is less contrast.

Agnar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->