2 replies to this topic

Mike Boruta

Mike Boruta

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • United States

I'm using Illustrator/MAPublisher and I have created a new document, 45inx30in, with one 2mb shapefile and one very large (400+mb) placed jpg. When I save the .ai file I make sure that the image is not embedded and I've deselected the create pdf compatible file option. Why is it that my .ai file is about the same size as my placed jpg (416mb), even though it is not embedded?

And, while I'm here... Is there a dpi/max pixel size limt to the images you can place in Illy?

Thanks!

Mike Boruta

Mike Boruta

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • United States

I think I just answered my own question and it came from an older Cartotalk post which I somehow missed. I didn't realize the "linked" box was unchecked when placing the image. DUH! So thank you Hans from 2005.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I think I just answered my own question and it came from an older Cartotalk post which I somehow missed. I didn't realize the "linked" box was unchecked when placing the image. DUH! So thank you Hans from 2005.

Hans from 2010 says "you're welcome"

Also, regardless of whether the linked box is checked or unchecked, if you save the file with the "PDF compatible" option, it will embed the image anyway...

[after reading that old post] Well, that's exactly what I said back then... I'm afraid nothing has chanced in Illustrator since then.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->