- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

mattye

mattye

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

When trying to export my map out of Illustrator CS4 to a 300 DPI/RGB tiff , I keep getting the "Combination of artwork size and resolution exceeds the maximum that can be rasterized" error message. Also, similarly when trying to export JPEG, get the “Insufficient memory was available to complete the operation” error message

Seems as if this is a new problem, in the past I have exported larger tiffs then this one which leads me to believe a setting has been changed or something (scratch disk settings are good)
Map is a 100+ layers/approx 38x40?

Looking for tips, tricks, suggestions for exporting tiffs out of Illustrator CS4

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hi Mattye,

Save it as a PDF or PDF compatible AI file, then open it in Photoshop and rasterize it. Photoshop is capable of doing much larger rasters than Illustrator. It may take a while though.

Hope this helps!
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

When trying to export my map out of Illustrator CS4 to a 300 DPI/RGB tiff , I keep getting the "Combination of artwork size and resolution exceeds the maximum that can be rasterized" error message. Also, similarly when trying to export JPEG, get the “Insufficient memory was available to complete the operation” error message

Seems as if this is a new problem, in the past I have exported larger tiffs then this one which leads me to believe a setting has been changed or something (scratch disk settings are good)
Map is a 100+ layers/approx 38x40?

Looking for tips, tricks, suggestions for exporting tiffs out of Illustrator CS4

The only way I know is to save it as a PDF and make sure the Make File PdF Compatible check box is checked when saving the document. And as Hans said open it and export it in PS.

There appears to be limit on the size of the artboard that can be exported. I messed around with this sometime back and found that the artboard cannot exceed 22" in width or height. That was with a document that was one layer and one filled rectangle the same size as the artboard. A 22" x 22" would export, but a file that was 23" x 1" would not export. I'm sure there is a reason for the limit, but I can't think of it. Anyways, why would you want a vector program to do raster work.

FYI, if you have a lot of isohypse (really line segments), PS will take a long time to rasterize.

Good luck,
kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

mattye

mattye

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

So I know opening in photoshop is the preferred work around and it does actually work, thanks. However, in the particular process I am trying to accomplish (creating a geotiff with MapPublisher), there is a stage where you have to export a tiff out of Illustrator. Ironically and a big reason why I am getting frustrated with the process not working is that my co-worker is able to export the tiffs with little or no problem. We have the same performance computer and we cannot figure out why one is working and not the other. I was able to export a 150DPI tiff after some computer cleanup/maintenance (defrag/disk cleanup), so I am hoping I can find some other setting or solution that will allow the export to finally process.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

It could be a memory problem and getting more memory might not do the trick.

I recently ran into an export issue from ArcGIS where the solution was to switch to a 64bit OS. Evidently 32bit OS's can only address ~2-2.5GB of RAM and the export died no matter what format I tried (pdf, ai, jpg, png, tif, etc.).

When I switched to a 64bit installation of XP - Arc9.3 chunked it out (not that 9.3 ran in 64bit mode).

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

It could be a memory problem and getting more memory might not do the trick.

I recently ran into an export issue from ArcGIS where the solution was to switch to a 64bit OS. Evidently 32bit OS's can only address ~2-2.5GB of RAM and the export died no matter what format I tried (pdf, ai, jpg, png, tif, etc.).

When I switched to a 64bit installation of XP - Arc9.3 chunked it out (not that 9.3 ran in 64bit mode).

For what it is worth, I'm running W7 64 bit with 8gigs of ram. I'm still having the same issue that Mattye is having.

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

pfyfield

pfyfield

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • United States

Well, I'm the co-worker who has no problem exporting these tiffs, and I think it's about to drive Mattye insane. Our computers are identical, and we have little control over system maintenance or configuration. That's all handled centrally. We do have control over our Illustrator preferences, which is why we suspect the problem lies there.

A little explanantion about what we're trying to do- we have our 1:126,720 map series covering Oregon and Washington, and whenever we complete a map we also create a 300 DPI geotiff. These are used as a general cartographic background for our GIS users, and are also provided on CD to fire crews as part of a GIS data package.

Our process is to first create a 300 DPI RGB tiff, either through Illustrator export or by opening the file in Photoshop. We then bring the image back into Illustrator and use MAPublisher (Object-Filters-MAP Images-Export Image) to produce a geotiff, which is then brought into Photoshop/Geographic Imager for a little more tweaking. I sometimes run into memory issues on the geotiff export, but generally if I restart my computer and run no other programs it goes fine. So at some point Mattye needs to be able to export out of Illustrator. We do not want to georeference in ArcMap; the quality of the resulting image is not nearly so good.

Can anybody think of any Illustrator preferences that could help with this? We've compared our settings (scratch disks, etc.). Any other ideas?

By the way Matt, regarding your offer to sneak my name onto your Bike There map in exchange for a moderate amount of quality Oregon alcohol: Accepted. We can discuss "Hampton's Corner" when the time comes.
Paul Fyfield
Cartographer, Bureau of Land Management
Oregon State Office
Portland, Oregon
pfyfield@blm.gov

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Maybe split the export into 2 or 4 tiles?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

If none of these tricks work then maybe the raster is corrupt.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

By the way Matt, regarding your offer to sneak my name onto your Bike There map in exchange for a moderate amount of quality Oregon alcohol: Accepted. We can discuss "Hampton's Corner" when the time comes.

Paul, this is starting to sound like a great deal!

Since I have started map production I took the liberty of renaming some features in your honor. I have attached a screenshot of my progress so far. I am thinking a case of Ransom Old Tom Gin (nectar of the gods - Sheridan, OR), a case of Erath's Pinot, a half-rack of Bridgport's Hop Czar and the region is yours.

Attached File  Fyfield.png   770.83KB   131 downloads

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Nicholas_C

Nicholas_C

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

^^^ Now that's funny. Can't wait to see the final version.

pfyfield

pfyfield

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • United States

I like it!
Paul Fyfield
Cartographer, Bureau of Land Management
Oregon State Office
Portland, Oregon