• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

rongcon1

rongcon1

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hello.

I've been looking for some good raster world map that I can tile and zoom to level 13th or so without blurring. If someone know where I can get one, please help point the way.

Also,

Would someone in ths forum please provide tutorial on projecting layers from shp files onto JAVA application that runs with World Wind and/or Open Street Map?

Much Appreciated!

Just a newbie at this....
B)

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I've been looking for some good raster world map that I can tile and zoom to level 13th or so without blurring. If someone know where I can get one, please help point the way.

What kind of map are you looking for? Natural Earth could be useful but if you're looking for a more traditional world map with text and boundaries and such there's nothing readily available. On top of that, for optimal results it's best to actually produce a new map for every zoom level, rather than have software rescale it. Especially a map with lines and texts can suffer badly from rescaling.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

There is a not too horrific world map here:

http://en.wikipedia....ol_2005_v02.svg

It's an SVG (vector) map rather than a raster, but this does meant that it won't pixelate as you blow it up. It's public domain and you could edit it if required using Illustrator or Inkscape (to name but two).

Regards, N.
Caversham, Reading, England.

rongcon1

rongcon1

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • No Country Selected

What kind of map are you looking for? Natural Earth could be useful but if you're looking for a more traditional world map with text and boundaries and such there's nothing readily available. On top of that, for optimal results it's best to actually produce a new map for every zoom level, rather than have software rescale it. Especially a map with lines and texts can suffer badly from rescaling.

I've tried natural earth's map already..they get nlurry at 8th zoom..thanks...

rongcon1

rongcon1

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • No Country Selected

There is a not too horrific world map here:

http://en.wikipedia....ol_2005_v02.svg

It's an SVG (vector) map rather than a raster, but this does meant that it won't pixelate as you blow it up. It's public domain and you could edit it if required using Illustrator or Inkscape (to name but two).

Regards, N.

Thanks Nick...I'll try them...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->