1 reply to this topic

Brian Moran

Brian Moran

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • United States

I am trying to label contours at specific places using the label tool in the Drawing toolbar in ArcMap. The function of this tool is to simply click a feature and have it label it according to the labeling properties of the layer its in. For example, I want to click my contour line and have it label the contour exactly where I clicked, using the labeling properties I set up in the contour line layer. One of those properties is to place the label parallel to the line.

When using the tag label tool, it gives a few options: to place the label at 1) the "best location" (ha ha) or 2) exactly where you click. When I choose the latter option, it places the label horizontally, not parallel to the line. When I choose the first option, it places the label parallel to the line, but not anywhere near where I clicked. This is extremely annoying. I've combed through the esri forums to no avail. Any tips?

I'm using 9.3 with an ArcInfo license.

jrat

jrat

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • United States

They are probably being placed horizontally in regards to north in your projection. If you have rotated the data frame they still follow that rule and you will have to rotate them. Have you tried the maplex label engine selecting the defaults for contours?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->