NSBuhwheat

NSBuhwheat

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Canada

Hi All,

New to the site. I am wondering if any of the learned audience has had experience with feature extraction from orthophotography. We have recently aquired 15 cm. colour imagery for app. 500 sq. km. of our municipality and are looking to develop a future project to collect another 400 sq. km. As we have a very small GIS staff (2), I'd really like to be able to lift vector data (features such as structures, utility poles, etc) from the ortho in the most efficient manner possible. Obviously this is asking a lot.

I've been looking at Feature Analyst (ArcMap extension) from Overwatch Spatial and am wondering if it would be reasonable to expect that it works as advertised. Any other software suggestions would be greatly appreciated, also.
http://www.vls-inc.c...ure_analyst.htm

Also, before I forget, I want to mention that this is an awesome site! Lot's of great suggestions and advice. I've been lurking for the last couple of weeks and I've discoverd loads of app's and resources. Keep up the good work all you poster's!

Thanks in advance,

Jamie Whitters
GIS/Planning Technologist
Planning and Development Department
Cape Breton Regional Municipality
Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada

Eric Wolf

Eric Wolf

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • United States

I highly recommend donating your imagery to OSM and encouraging the community to extract your features for you.

Hi All,

New to the site. I am wondering if any of the learned audience has had experience with feature extraction from orthophotography. We have recently aquired 15 cm. colour imagery for app. 500 sq. km. of our municipality and are looking to develop a future project to collect another 400 sq. km. As we have a very small GIS staff (2), I'd really like to be able to lift vector data (features such as structures, utility poles, etc) from the ortho in the most efficient manner possible. Obviously this is asking a lot.

I've been looking at Feature Analyst (ArcMap extension) from Overwatch Spatial and am wondering if it would be reasonable to expect that it works as advertised. Any other software suggestions would be greatly appreciated, also.
http://www.vls-inc.c...ure_analyst.htm

Also, before I forget, I want to mention that this is an awesome site! Lot's of great suggestions and advice. I've been lurking for the last couple of weeks and I've discoverd loads of app's and resources. Keep up the good work all you poster's!

Thanks in advance,

Jamie Whitters
GIS/Planning Technologist
Planning and Development Department
Cape Breton Regional Municipality
Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada

ceicher

ceicher

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • United States

Hi Jamie,

You could look at PurVIEW which is marketed by ESRI Canada: http://www.esricanad...oducts/7098.asp

Also, we've built 3D capture systems here that couple 2D capture/editing in ArcMap with true 3D capture/editing in ESRI Stereo Analyst. Operator works seamlessly between a stereo monitor and one or two additional 2D monitors. System includes special functionality for roof capture. It's probably a little heavy for 2 operators/~1000 km2, but I had to put my plug in.

-Cory

NSBuhwheat

NSBuhwheat

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Canada

Hi Jamie,

You could look at PurVIEW which is marketed by ESRI Canada: http://www.esricanad...oducts/7098.asp

Also, we've built 3D capture systems here that couple 2D capture/editing in ArcMap with true 3D capture/editing in ESRI Stereo Analyst. Operator works seamlessly between a stereo monitor and one or two additional 2D monitors. System includes special functionality for roof capture. It's probably a little heavy for 2 operators/~1000 km2, but I had to put my plug in.

-Cory

Hi Corey,

Many thanks for the info!

Regards,

Jamie Whitters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->