pfyfield

pfyfield

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • United States

Hello all-
I am running into a problem I've never encountered before. I have downloaded some of the medium-resolution (100k) datasets from the NHD available here:
ftp://nhdftp.usgs.gov/StateExtracts/Medium/FileGDB/
These are the datasets that have been around for a while, not generalized from 24k (the process Barbara Buttenfield presented at last year's NACIS).
I am running several of the feature classes through a model to clean them up for cartographic purposes. The model initially copies the feature class into a new file geodatabase, then joins to a lookup table I've made based on the FCode attribute, dissolves on the new field from my table, reprojects, and exports a shapefile. The polygons (NHDArea and NHDWaterbodies) go smoothly, but the line feature class (NHDFlowline) bombs out on the dissolve. This occurs even when I try to dissolve not using the model. The error message is "ERROR 999999 The geometry has no z values." Not sure why there would be z values in this dataset...
So, I've tried disabling "output has z values" in the "feature class to feature class" portion of my model, I also tried enabling and setting the value to zero. The dissolve still bombs out at about the same time, but I now get the more generic "general error" message.
I'm hoping somebody with more knowledge of the structure of geodatabases may know some trick...
Paul Fyfield
Cartographer, Bureau of Land Management
Oregon State Office
Portland, Oregon
pfyfield@blm.gov

ceicher

ceicher

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • United States

Hi Paul

1) Try disabling Ms as well as Zs?: http://forums.esri.c...p...93&t=225044

2) There are 25 Discussion Forum posts here: "The geometry has no z values"

http://support.esri.com/

3) I'm familiar with the underlying cause of this. It occurs when you try to store a geometry in a feature class. If the feature class supports Zs, then you absolutely must:

a) set your geometry to be z aware
B) give your geometry a z (even if it's 0)

... so, maybe there's a setting you yourself might be able to tweak: on your target feature class, in the GP tool that creates the feat class, or in the logic that creates the geometry (Dissolve GP tool I guess).

... from 1) I'd say that 3) could also hold true for Ms.

Good luck!

-Cory

pfyfield

pfyfield

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • United States

Beautiful! Disabling "output has m values" as well as "output has z values" did it. Just to be on the safe side, I did this at every step in the process...
Thanks, Cory
Paul Fyfield
Cartographer, Bureau of Land Management
Oregon State Office
Portland, Oregon
pfyfield@blm.gov

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->