• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

If they say they've got $500 to spend but they want the final deliverable to include "$2,000" worth of detail and design quality (owning the work when it's finished besides), the situation is not going to end well 99% of the time. With certain types of map design styles, people who do not do map illustration/design for a living simply do not appreciate all of the time and effort that goes into producing quality work.
Anyone at CartoTalk could make you a $100 map! That might only buy you 90 minutes to 8-10 hours of design work though. For what it's worth.

Very well put Derek. I would add also the flip side of map buyers who want a complete map of the World for $100.00 -‘just make it fun and simple!’ : Map designers will often agree to do a cheap map with good intentions but then find themselves compelled by some inner need to put far more work into it to maintain a certain standard. I have fallen (and still fall) into that self-made trap too many times and it is bad for the whole industry
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Cartography.
    Mathematical cartography. Topgraphica Cartograpy. Thrre dimensional (3D) Cartography. Infography.
    More than 12 years experience with important publishers projects.
  • Spain

Derek is totally correct.
I dont know the exact extension of the zone or charactristics, but.. 2400 lots and a golf course sounds to me as a map that requires some time to get a good map.
Sure you can find someone to make it for $500, but dont expect to have a detailed or designed map. At least if the cartographer is making bussines. If he is meking it just as a hobby.... perhaps it may be.
For these cases, I would recomend to just enter in our good friend google maps, take snapshot and try to add some custom details. Its easier...
Best regards
Fernando

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

real nice color graphical map of the community showing all of our streets, parks, lots, addresses, golf course, and amenity buildings

Based on that alone, 2000$ seems reasonable.

From a business point of view the first thing I do is to place a detailed quote for the work desired by the client. If he falls off his chair when he sees the price, I will ask ... I you don't mind me asking what was your planed budget for this work... Then I will reconsider making a new offer only if I feel at ease from a business point of view. Sometimes I politely move on sometimes I adjust my quote accordingly. IMO I don't think a professional should ask first off , what is your budget ... it can lead your client to think "If I tell my budget" that is exactly what he will charge me regardless.

my two cent worth.
Chart

marshall H Peck III

marshall H Peck III

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • United States

We are a gated community looking for a real nice color graphical map of the community showing all of our streets, parks, lots, addresses, golf course, and amenity buildings. Is there a cost effective software out there than can be used or a company that can do this cost effectively. the cheapest quote we have received from a local vendor was $2000 to create 2 maps. :(

Lowest price is $1500. plus any costs incurred. Can be done by email.
final image will be a computer file downloaded to you or your printer.
Please visit marshallpeck.com for samples of capability. You will get a nice useable
image for this price, not a master work.

Attached Files

marshall H Peck III

marshall H Peck III

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • United States

If they say they've got $500 to spend but they want the final deliverable to include "$2,000" worth of detail and design quality (owning the work when it's finished besides), the situation is not going to end well 99% of the time. With certain types of map design styles, people who do not do map illustration/design for a living simply do not appreciate all of the time and effort that goes into producing quality work.
Anyone at CartoTalk could make you a $100 map! That might only buy you 90 minutes to 8-10 hours of design work though. For what it's worth.

Very well put Derek. I would add also the flip side of map buyers who want a complete map of the World for $100.00 -‘just make it fun and simple!’ : Map designers will often agree to do a cheap map with good intentions but then find themselves compelled by some inner need to put far more work into it to maintain a certain standard. I have fallen (and still fall) into that self-made trap too many times and it is bad for the whole industry

Jean-Louis... I like your Capitaine Haddock "logo". I basically agree that one can go overboard when drawing for a "cheap" client out of artist need to do well. However I think an approach to the project tied closely to the price is possible. It also has been my experience that clients rarely know what the hell is going on (not their fault)and need to be educated that if you pay for a general motors car you have to live with that low level of quality. If you want to be proud of your car, as in BMW, you will pay more. Same for commissioned artwork. mpeck3@comcast.net
send me a sample of your work sometime.

Attached Files

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

And for the record, Eureka is a reputable cartographic company of long standing. You'll can expect good professional work from them.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->