- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

sleepysavage

sleepysavage

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

I'm looking for some GIS files that provide land values per parcel that is preferably nationwide, but I would settle for only Virginia. Any thoughts on where I could find this either for free or purchase?

Thanks!

jmcandrew

jmcandrew

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Live Music, Travel, Bicycles, Photography
  • United States

I'm looking for some GIS files that provide land values per parcel that is preferably nationwide, but I would settle for only Virginia. Any thoughts on where I could find this either for free or purchase?

Thanks!

I have been able to obtain parcel data from my county in order to do a project for a class. The data was only for that specific county, but it did include the tax values. The tax values are also very different from the values you might find on a site like Zillow.com. So I'd suggest looking for government resources, because they hold the tax and parcel information. As far as further compiled data, maybe someone else on this board could help out more.

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

I wondered about county parcel shapefiles too, they do carry property values.

A while ago I was thinking about ways of making GIS data more accessible and I downloaded one and converted it to KML. If you want to see what sort of data it contains you can download it from here:

http://www.confound....aps/parcels.zip

It's an enormous file, after it's loaded into GE click on a parcel to pop-up the appropriate record from the DBF. Then look at it in Street View :).

Regards, N.
Caversham, Reading, England.

Tim Stallmann

Tim Stallmann

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • United States

I deal with a lot of parcel data and availability varies a lot from county to county. Many counties charge $25 - $50 for a copy of their parcel database shapefiles, while others make them available free over FTP, or will email them if you call to ask.

One thing I've often dreamt about is a free / open database where each of us dealing with parcel data could upload what we had, and piece together into a patchwork with more national coverage. Maybe a longer-term Cartotalk / NACIS project? Anyone?

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

Here's an older article from ESRI about a national parcel dataset vision.

A recent blog entry from James Fee regarding Google Map parcels.

As far as how to get the parcels with their land value data the best way I know how, for now, is to go to each county and request the data. You might have about an 80% success rate. One county I've worked with only just had their parcels digitized a few years ago. Another county won't give out owner names.

joelschlager

joelschlager

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:GIS, Music, Meteorology/Climate Study
  • United States

I, too, agree that contacting individual counties would be your best bet. Tedious, yes, but there is no uniform standard to which all counties apply themselves to for data distribution, from my understanding.

Not knowing how or if other states work with Freedom of Information Act regulations other than Illinois I can suggest looking into that. If the state's attorney here in IL gets her way soon then GIS data, or, rather, "geographic" data, may not be exempt from FOIA requests.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->