Jason Petho

Jason Petho

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Cartography, Travelling
  • Canada

Hi Jason, and welcome to Cartotalk.

I've had a quick look at your site. Any chance of seeing some high-res samples of your work?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Certainly... Here's a small sampling.

Take care and good luck
Jason Petho

Attached Files

Petho Cartography
Mapping Military History

http://www.pethocarto.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I've taken the liberty of splitting this topic and placing the maps here in the Map Gallery.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Jason Petho

Jason Petho

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Canada

I've taken the liberty of splitting this topic and placing the maps here in the Map Gallery.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ahh, ok... thank you!

Take care and good luck
Jason Petho
Petho Cartography
Mapping Military History

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

Very nice maps!

I really like the style of the Waterloo map and the way you made the unit symbols stand out. About the only thing I might question is the use of the same size arrow for the road to Brussels as for the troop movements (I hope you will excuse my ignorance, but did Wellington's troops not move in this phase of the battle?)

The Map of MacArthur's advance has a more modern look to it, appropriately. I'm wondering about the SWPA symbol in the lower right. Does that indicate a fleet or something in that location? Also, was the a key to the symbols? I'm assuming the yellow/red flashes were battles or skirmishes?

Oh, yeah, what size were these maps published?
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Jason Petho

Jason Petho

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Canada

Very nice maps!

Very kind of you to say, thank you!

I really like the style of the Waterloo map and the way you made the unit symbols stand out. About the only thing I might question is the use of the same size arrow for the road to Brussels as for the troop movements (I hope you will excuse my ignorance, but did Wellington's troops not move in this phase of the battle?)

This particular map was created to be published with an article primarily focusing on the manuevers of Napoleon. Plus, I didn't want to clutter the map.

The arrow size was not my choice as I had to meet a specific template for the map.

The Map of MacArthur's advance has a more modern look to it, appropriately. I'm wondering about the SWPA symbol in the lower right. Does that indicate a fleet or something in that location? Also, was the a key to the symbols? I'm assuming the yellow/red flashes were battles or skirmishes?

The SWPA symbol indicates the unit being described is the South West Pacific Army Group. Due to the "size" of the unit in the article , the general reference is more than adequate.

No, there is not a key to the symbols. The editor opted out of including one for the magazine. On the other hand, the symobology used is typical of that used in military historical mapping.

Yes, the red/yellow flashes indicate battles/skirmishes.

Oh, yeah, what size were these maps published?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Napoleon map is 1/2 magazine page while the New Guinea map is a 1/4 magazine page in size.

Hope that helps

Take care and good luck
Jason Petho
Petho Cartography
Mapping Military History

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->