- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Zery

Zery

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Indonesia

This map is not finish yet, but i have to finish it at the end of January, i need advice on it, here it goes.

1. What do you think about the color combination?? any other suggestion?
2. I'm thinking to put elevation (3d look) as a background, what color scheme to be use?
3. The layout arrangement, is it ok or i have to try something else?
4. Do i have to start all over again or just put this on trash can??? :-)

The main problem for me is the focus on this map is on the bottom left and upper right, so in my opinion this map is not "centre", i really can't sleep because of it. This map is in A0 format.

Any advice and other example could be great.

Regards,
Zery

Attached Files

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

My advice would be to change the whole map such that it reflects Sugar Palm not Oil Palm.

Oil Palm plantations are not sustainable - so says Willie.
<_<

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hello Zery,

I don't know what the colors represent, but they sure stand out.

I would try to put my title close to where you have your inset, and then move the inset somewhere else.

Keep your water features the same color blue (I like the lighter of the two blues that you have on the map. Does that river really end just short of the lake/sea/ocean?

The table dominates, I would try to put it somewhere in the bottom left corner (out of eye-train).

Can you focus (increase the scale) on the Oil Palm Plantation, or do you need such a large coverage area?

Looks like you have a lot of work left to do.

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

Laura Miles

Laura Miles

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Canada

Hi Zery,
I actually like your layout and think it is fairly well-balanced, but I would adjust your upper-left inset so the margins around it are equal. Your colors are extremely bright, I would change those to something more muted if I were you. Have you tried Color Brewer? (http://colorbrewer2.org/) For backgrounds I really like a hillshade with a semi-transparent DEM overtop of it for elevation colorization.
Cheers,
Laura

Zery

Zery

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Indonesia

Thanks all for your advice..

Matthew : Have you hear about RSPO ?? :)

razornole : i will give a try on your layout suggestion, the light blue is an ocean, maybe i'll change the dark blue (river) in to the same as ocean, unfortunately i have the show all the coverage, the purpose is beside showing planted area it shows to routes from the main site to the new site (bottom left to upper right), if the focus is only on the planted area, it wouldn't give me such a headache :blink:

MappoGirl : i tried colorbrewer, right now colorbrewer is not the best solution for me, thanks for your support in the layout though.

Zery

Zery

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Indonesia

this my second try out,

Any comment please.

Attached Files

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Making beautiful, functional maps
  • United States

Wow, night and day! So much more professional looking. And communicates the information much much better. Nice change.

--
Michael Karpovage

• Savannah Historic District Illustrated Map
www.karpovagecreative.com/savannah

• Account Manager/Illustrator
Mapformation, LLC - Atlanta, GA office
www.mapformation.com

• Author of Map of Thieves
www.mapofthieves.com

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • United States

I'm not sure about the green to brown color ramp - it's typically used for hypsometric tints/elevation. But I can't read the legend for it. If it's elevation why is so much of the map white? If that white area is low elevation I would extend the color ramp into it with a green that's paler than your current lowest elevation color.
If it's something else you might want to try some other ramp that isn't so closely associated with elevation. Something that helps evoke what it represents if possible.

Vast improvement! I can see you've put quite a bit of work into this latest version.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Wow Zery! It's my hope that the great improvement in your cartography mirrors what the RSPO can do for Borneo and Sumatra with respect to habitat. Nice work.

I know about the RSPO, but calling something sustainable doesn't make it so. I'm waiting... hopefully.

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Great improvement for sure,

Not crazy about the highly saturated/highly detailed locator map. It is too much contrast for me. It competes with the real data you are mapping.

I would slide the tables to the left hand side somewhere outside of the map, and find a way to get my legend and scale within the map.

I'm not sure what the (I'll call them hypsometric tints) represent either, but I would limit the categories to four or five at max.

Good work,

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->