2 replies to this topic

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • United States

What happens when seven map designers from across North America get together for a weekend on the frozen prairies of Southwestern Minnesota in the middle of January?! Why, lots of talking shop, eating, bowling and a snowball fight, of course!

After YEARS of developing friendships over the phone, email and instant messaging, our team (at the specific request of Jean-Louis Rheault) held our first-ever gathering to talk a little business and (more importantly) get a little face time with as many members of our team as could come. A total of seven of our twelve current team members gathered over the MLK Jr. Holiday weekend, and I have to say that it was probably the most enjoyable "conference" I have ever attended.

We all felt like old friends and talked as though we all worked just down the hall from one another, instead of hundreds/thousands of miles apart. We also got a lot of great work done in planning the next 3-5 years for our company...so competition beware! You've been notified of our intention to double and re-double our efforts to make even more in-roads into the primary target markets that we serve.

I thought I'd attach two photos from the weekend...as those of you who know many of us might enjoy them. The first is a group shot during our dinner together on Saturday evening:

Posted Image
David Burley, Michael Karpovage, Bob North, Cindi North (Bob's wife), Becky Tonn, Derek Tonn, Eric Hunden and Jean-Louis Rheault (clockwise, from front left of table).

The second image is of Eric, Jean-Louis and Michael...our firm's "goons...hired goons" if anyone out there gets a little too close to our clients and/or is late in paying their bills. After seeing this photo, I certainly wouldn't want to do ANYTHING to make these guys upset (all joking and in good fun, of course):

Posted Image

Not truly "News & Press Releases," I suppose. However, it seemed to be the best place to put that little FYI about our firm's recent activities on to CartoTalk. I assume it will be a while until we can all get together in one physical location again in the future. However, we had a great time together in Springfield...and it really helped to recharge my batteries and get ready for a promising a fruitful 2010.

[sarcasm] So...does that meeting technically qualify as a NACIS sub-sub-regional conference?" :lol: [/sarcasm]
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com
http://www.mapformation.com

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

The second photo is awesome. It looks like they just finished an all night gig at CBGB's.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I would hate to see these guys knocking on my door for late payments. I'll be sure to pay you net-15 when the time comes... :D

The second photo is awesome. It looks like they just finished an all night gig at CBGB's.

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->