Laura Miles

Laura Miles

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Canada

Hi,
My name is Laura and I'm a GIS Technician in Vancouver, BC. I came to GIS through my love of cartography. I really wanted to be a Cartographer but felt that GIS would provide more employment opportunities. Far from being a shoddy second prize, I have found that GIS has allowed me a lot more creative freedom with my maps than the "Cartographer" positions I have held, which often had established cartographic standards which felt restrictive. However, cartography is my first love and so I am here to pick up any tips, tricks and to educate myself as much as I can. I am only a couple of years into my career and I look forward to learning from others' knowledge and experience!
Laura

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hi Laura, and welcome to Cartotalk. Feel free to add some samples of your work to the Map Gallery, we're always interested in seeing maps here ;)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • United States

I have found that GIS has allowed me a lot more creative freedom with my maps than the "Cartographer" positions I have held, which often had established cartographic standards which felt restrictive.

That's interesting and now that you mention it it makes sense.
Welcome! And as Hans said, feel free to post some of your maps, especially useful if you want some feedback and tips. Besides, we all love looking at maps. :)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Canada

Greetings from Nelson BC! I'd love to see some of your work too. Don't be shy! ;)

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

Laura Miles

Laura Miles

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Canada

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!
I am fairly new to this field still so don't have a big portfolio yet, but I am working on a couple of maps that may be worthy of posting. Will post as soon as they are ready!

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Welcome to CartoTalk Laura,

I'm glad to have another left-coaster in the forums.

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

kay

kay

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Canada

Hello, Laura! I am in Canada, too!
You will have a lot of fun with all the map people here :)

Cheers,
Kay

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Canada

Welcome to Cartotalk, Laura. Look forward to hearing from you. Have you managed to find employment in the field?

Laura Miles

Laura Miles

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Canada

Welcome to Cartotalk, Laura. Look forward to hearing from you. Have you managed to find employment in the field?

I have found it incredibly hard to find employment...I lucked out a few months after graduation and had a friend of a friend who knew someone in the federal gov't that needed a GIS Tech. That contract job led to another short term contract with a different federal department. I am employed in the field now, (not with the feds anymore) but have basically had to take absolutely anything offered to me, as I've been stuck in that whole issue of nobody will even talk to you if you don't have 2 years experience. To be fair I have been unwilling to move out of the Vancouver area though, which I know limits my opportunities. I have spent a couple months unemployed, and a couple months in an unrelated job since graduating a year and a half ago. It has not been easy, but lately most jobs I apply to I do get a call back for interview now. Phew!

Compass

Compass

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Canada

New Canadian member's Greetings from Ontario - Yours to discover - :)

Compass

Compass

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Canada

Feel free to add some samples of your work to the Map Gallery, we're always interested in seeing maps here

Even undergraduate/college (more like "beginner"/junior) type of works (i.e. previous school projects, let say), welcome too? :mellow:

Because I just skimmed through there seeing the neat works from the professional/advance cartographers (What a huge difference in cartographic "quality"...)

For professional (senior, intermediate) cartographers: Just curious about if any of you had ever submitted your works to ESRI Map Gallery before (within last 2 years) ? Many maps posted there seem to require many years of practices (like at least 10 years) to reach into that kind of professional level. But this is just my subjective opinion.

Laura Miles

Laura Miles

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Canada

It is quite intimidating after looking at the other maps in there! I have yet to post, but I think if you can take the constructive criticism it is a very good place to improve your skills.

s hubbard

s hubbard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Altitude..Archery..Alaska..Appalachia..Apothecary..Asiana
  • United States

Greetings from Nelson BC! I'd love to see some of your work too. Don't be shy! ;)

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics

hey Charles, do you ever get up to the Slocan Valley?
i have some friends there, and used to spend time up in Winlaw, and Roseberry.
that is the most incredible area, i miss it.
it's cool to see all the canadians on here, i've always wanted to turn provincial B)
i'm going back up there this year >>

hey mappogirl, and welcome! going to any olympic stuff?
s hubbard
www.hubbardmapworks.com
2539'

Laura Miles

Laura Miles

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Canada

I may go to some of the free events downtown, just to experience the atmosphere...but with predicted wait times of up to 2 hours for a skytrain, I may just avoid the whole thing!

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Canada

Slocan Valley -- yeah! Just around the corner from Nelson. Fantastic scenery. Oh -- Rosebery has only one "r". Probably an example of a spelling blooper that stuck and became official! :rolleyes:

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics

hey Charles, do you ever get up to the Slocan Valley?
i have some friends there, and used to spend time up in Winlaw, and Roseberry.
that is the most incredible area, i miss it.
it's cool to see all the canadians on here, i've always wanted to turn provincial B)
i'm going back up there this year >>

hey mappogirl, and welcome! going to any olympic stuff?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->