jonathanelevy

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, Web-Based Mapping, Mapping in Art & New Media
  • United States

Greetings to all,

I'm happy to share some maps I have been working on over the past year. They are impressionistic, psychogeographic maps intended to both express my perception of a place and hopefully connect with visitors and residents to that place. Although accurate, the maps are less functional and more artistic.

The maps consist of original photography collaged into the geography of the neighborhood or town depicted. So far I've covered Carroll Gardens(attached), South Williamsburg and Bushwick in Brooklyn and Chapel Hill, NC(my hometown). I'm working on Lower East Side, New York City and hope to continue expanding my coverage both through commissions and my own initiative. Environs Maps are being printed as both small 4" x 6" postcards and larger 18" x 24" wall maps. Still figuring out creative marketing ideas so your feedback is welcome.

Please go to www.jlcartography.com/environs for more maps and information!

Best,
Jonathan

Attached Files

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Very cool Jonathan! I really like your creativity. I think "Chapel Hill" is my fav of all the maps you have on your site.

I can get so sick of seeing database-driven maps that it's a refreshing break to see very original cartographies.

It reminds of me of a book I received as a door prize at the last NACIS called "The Map as Art."

I find it very inspiring!

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

johnnyh

johnnyh

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

Well done, very unique concept! Certainly conveys a strong sense of place... I imagine you could get really detailed, depending on the scale and location.

Really cool. :D

jonathanelevy

jonathanelevy

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, Web-Based Mapping, Mapping in Art & New Media
  • United States

Thank you for the compliments. Yes I found out about that book, "Map as Art" after the fact but I think its great. Using maps in art is a big thing now and for the past few decades. I like the idea of the cartographer making art rather than the artist making a map. Seems more grounded and there's greater potential for the advancement of cartography by expirmenting from within the discipline.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->